Wesgro CEO Tim Harris salary increase row leads to chair and director resigning

thechamp

Honorary Master

There had been 119 applications for the post. A shortlist of eight candidates was narrowed down to three, with Harris emerging as the most preferred candidate.
I feel for the poor applicants, going up against the chosen one was such a waste of their time.

Last edited:

yebocan

Honorary Master
Tim Harris was being groomed as Finance Minister, when the DA was still playing, an united country...moving forward together. Maynier, was always the ugly sister, second fiddle...when it came to Tim Harris. photogenic looks and smooth oratory skills. Not sure, how they bat when it comes to internal DA politics - I find it unlikely that Maynier would make a move on Harris,...without the go ahead from higher up the totem pole...or maybe Maynier was caught out massaging the process ..?

surface

Executive Member

I feel for the poor applicants, going up against the chosen was such a waste of their time.
Well, as per wikipedia, " He has been characterised as the sexiest man in politics " - so there is that.

surface

Executive Member
I thought cadre deployment was frowned upon?
He was counseller to Mmusi so Tim was actually the preferred BEE candidate as per 'I have got x number of black friends' rule in DA book - chapter 7, section 7.2, para a2.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Traditional Affairs Dr Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma on Sunday said, while addressing the OR Tambo School of Leadership in Johannesburg, that municipalities must appoint “the right cadres for the job”.

“We need a new attitude on how we deploy our members to the local sphere of government. Cadre deployment is good but it must be done properly. All those deployed must possess the required skills and capacity to do the job,” Dlamini-Zuma said .
In a statement, the DA said it believed that Dlamini-Zuma has “misdiagnosed the ailment, and that her prescription is toxic”.

“Cadres are in fact responsible for the decline of municipalities, and their “deployment” should be abolished altogether. The policy of cadre deployment enjoins African National Congress (ANC) politicians to reserve technical and otherwise non-political jobs in state institutions for ANC members,” said DA MP Cilliers Brink.

Brink said the cadre deployement was also a means of gaining control over society while using public resources to maintain that control.

surface

Executive Member
@thechamp - Here is my take on this. DA was talking about deployment in municipalities. Wesgro is not a municipality but "independent" agency having "independent" people taking decisions for the welfare of the western cape republic.

So, situation is not comparable you see. Stop comparing apples with ham.

Disclaimer: I will be accused of being a paid DA supporter and I can neither confirm nor deny such allegation. It is beneath my dignity to entertain such claim.

thechamp

Honorary Master
@thechamp - Here is my take on this. DA was talking about deployment in municipalities. Wesgro is not a municipality but "independent" agency having "independent" people taking decisions for the welfare of the western cape republic.

Disclaimer: I will be accused of being a paid DA supporter and I can neither confirm nor deny such allegation. It is beneath my dignity to entertain such claim.
Reasonable explanation. :thumbsup:

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
"Tim Harris has proven himself an excellent CEO, with a stellar track record of delivery at Wesgro. Under his leadership, investment in the Western Cape increased by 32% and international tourism increased by 16%. The Wesgro team also facilitated R20 billion worth of exports and R8bn worth of film production during that period," says Figaji.
He looks white, let's crucify him.

C4Cat

Executive Member

Given that wesgro is a Schedule 3C Public Entity, it's not independent. It relies on government funding (i.e. taxpayer funds) and is considered an extension of a public entity. So no...

ForceFate

Honorary Master

Hmmm... :unsure:
I must try that. Does apple spread exist?