Western Cape government defies Cabinet, set to acquire own Covid-19 vaccine

ponder

Honorary Master
Western Cape government defies Cabinet, set to acquire own Covid-19 vaccine (iol.co.za)

Cape Town - The Western Cape is pushing ahead with its plans to acquire its own supplies of a Covid-19 vaccine.

Provincial health MEC Nomafrench Mbombo was briefing Parliament’s health portfolio committee with her Eastern Cape counterpart on Wednesday.

“The premier, in his capacity as provincial commander of the council for Covid-19, has been engaging with suppliers and also with various other stakeholders with regard to the issue of vaccines.

“We know for sure there will be a time where there might be extra need to expand beyond some of the priorities the nation has provided for and therefore it is crucial we do that," Mbombo told MPs.

She said they had learnt from getting TB medication, ARVs for HIV/Aids and other medicines where there had always been centralisation of the procurement process.

“If something happens in regard to challenges we always make it a point that we have a plan B and that is crucial,” Mbombo said.

The move by the province comes despite Health Minister Zweli Mkhize saying last week that the National Health Department would be the sole purchaser of Covid-19 vaccines for the country.

Iwojima

Expert Member
This won't happen. The ANC are so hell-bent on not having the WC show them up time and time again that they'll figure out a way to stop this.

Acid0

Expert Member
Depending on the discovery plan you are that will be your options of different vaccines :)

surface

Honorary Master
Government should allow them to approve as well as the private sector, if we are going to beat this we all need to work together.

Of course it wont happen though because ANC.
Is there any country where government has allowed sourcing of covid vaccine ? Curious. I think I read some UK company asking NHS to give them excess vaccines and they got lot of flak over it.

yebocan

Honorary Master
Agreed, all hands on deck --- but politics does not allow for that....the political calculations coming from the DA, ...local government elections are set for this year....their ineffective leader/ship has not been able to break the national government's strangle hold on the news cycle. Having tiffs over lockdowns and regulations - only gets you so far...Why did the IRR have to tap into the whole vaccine rollout as a proxy, where is the official opposition?
ANC will make a huff and a puff over this ... so expect pissing in the wind and the normal politicking ZA style....meanwhile the pandemic is ravaging through the most venerable of communities...

Gnome

Executive Member
They need the private sector to pay for their mostly unemployed and low income voter base.

The only way to do that is to say only central government is allowed to distribute it with a get 1 pay for 2 "deal"

Its a whole new form of "taxation"

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
Is there any country where government has allowed sourcing of covid vaccine ? Curious. I think I read some UK company asking NHS to give them excess vaccines and they got lot of flak over it.

Not sure to be honest? If the government approves vaccine x then i think a medical facility should be able to procure vaccine x. Does it not work that way with other vaccines?

surface

Honorary Master
Not sure to be honest? If the government approves vaccine x then i think a medical facility should be able to procure vaccine x. Does it not work that way with other vaccines?
I don't know for sure but I haven't read about private companies being able to buy covid vaccine yet.

Difficult to compare with other vaccines that have been through the system for years. Maybe this will change after a year or so for covid ?