Western Cape government defies Cabinet, set to acquire own Covid-19 vaccine

Oldfut

yeah exactly, its almost as if SAHPRA are purposely dragging their feet
I caught some discussion about Ivermectin yesterday and got the strong impression that SAHPRA (if they are the approving body) could not be less interested in the wellbeing of SA's people. The impression was that they were quite happy to arrogantly sit on their broad bureaucratic bottoms until someone came begging to them for approval and then they would take their own sweet time to respond. Your tax money at "work", ANC style.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
If the gov is procuring x,y&z and the products are approved and you procure the same products from the same companies why would it require approval again?
...and if you're not procuring same products? There"s no guarantee the WC government will be prioritised by these manufacturers. It goes back to my question.

ponder

Honorary Master
...and if you're not procuring same products? There"s no guarantee the WC government will be prioritised by these manufacturers. It goes back to my question.

Why procure a product at great expense that's not approved?

I'd trust the wc gov way more to roll this out than these other idiots.

krycor

Honorary Master
yeah exactly, its almost as if SAHPRA are purposely dragging their feet

They've actually been very proactive with the vaccine approvals.. so this likely for the treatment stuff and believing the hype train of the right wing.

Agreed, all hands on deck --- but politics does not allow for that....the political calculations coming from the DA, ...local government elections are set for this year....their ineffective leader/ship has not been able to break the national government's strangle hold on the news cycle. Having tiffs over lockdowns and regulations - only gets you so far...Why did the IRR have to tap into the whole vaccine rollout as a proxy, where is the official opposition?
ANC will make a huff and a puff over this ... so expect pissing in the wind and the normal politicking ZA style....meanwhile the pandemic is ravaging through the most venerable of communities...

The DA are preparing for the hiding.. I should remind people that it as Steinhuisen that suggest mass roll out of Pfizer/Moderna (LMFAO.. good luck) and even suggested Sinovac(Chinese) and Sputnik(Russion) both of which have insufficient data that even the WHO is hesitant on it. I'll say it again.. they being idiots about their pandemic response and coming across as valuing businesses and influencials more than average citizen. There is definately fall out gonna happen.. i'm just waiting for one of their spurious decisions to backfire badly as its coming.

For the non bias persons watching this showdown u can't help but look at them with disgust. Yes the ANC has screwed up in the past BUT there is a difference between being constructive with engagments vs opposing for the sake of it and losing rationality in the process.

If we can gleam anything from Dlamini-Zuma's HIV scandal of the 90's and then her removal from the AU because of her dereliction of duties towards fellow Africans it's this:

Dlamini-Zuma does not give a flying **** about Africans or their well being and is not to be trusted with the procurement vaccine or the health of anyone in SA.

ANC are sitting on a fad wad of billions of rand donated to them from around the world. They would want to find the cheapest, nastiest vaccine available and pocket the change.
When last i checked she wasn't in charge of health nor vaccines for covid. If you ask me the DA is the one suggesting sub-rate vaccines. The Oxford and J&J ones are the best vs all available aspects at play and the Ramaphosa being head of AU is being quite clever in that he is doing a Covax for Africa along with bilateral stuff. all i'm saying is .. politcking is gonna bite stage is set for an epic fail. WC, or rather DA, seems hellbent on winning this haha.

krycor

Honorary Master
PS. I won't touch a vaccine which isn't approved locally and abroad. i.e. if they push sputnik or sinovac they can shove it up their arse.

ponder

Honorary Master
If we can gleam anything from Dlamini-Zuma's HIV scandal of the 90's and then her removal from the AU because of her dereliction of duties towards fellow Africans it's this:

Dlamini-Zuma does not give a flying **** about Africans or their well being and is not to be trusted with the procurement vaccine or the health of anyone in SA.

How many times does it have to be repeated that it was not Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma but Manto Tshabalala-Msimang?

Manto Tshabalala-Msimang

Manto Tshabalala-Msimang - Wikipedia

ponder

Honorary Master

ForceFate

Honorary Master
On another note:
Gov announced they procured 1.5m doses of AstraZeneca, I cannot find the SAHPRA approval for AstraZeneca?

And then this also raises questions,
AstraZeneca can't sell Covid-19 vaccines in SA, despite government claims of being in talks for months | News24

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Doubt that’s gonna fly

but maybe just maybe it’ll cause the useless national gov to pull their finger out their ass

ForceFate

Honorary Master
How does that answer the question?
SAHPRA operates under the auspices of the DoH. Minister Mkhize has already pronounced on how procurement and distribution is going to be handled. Thus, I doubt they'll accept an application from a provincial government.

Article just shows how we may acquire the bulk of our supply. WC going at it alone may not be prioritised by manufacturers.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
On another note:
Gov announced they procured 1.5m doses of AstraZeneca, I cannot find the SAHPRA approval for AstraZeneca?

And then this also raises questions,
AstraZeneca can't sell Covid-19 vaccines in SA, despite government claims of being in talks for months | News24

Those events do not necessarily have to be interconnected, you can procure something and have it sit in a [foreign] warehouse and not delivered. And AstraZ can sell to the [national] government directly but can't sell to anyone else, private entities or state/provincial government. It's like an obscure way of [pre-]ordering goods before having them on hand for distribution, kind of a reminder on how tenders work with requiring pre-payment so that the tenderpreneur can buy the goods they are meant to be selling.

ponder

Honorary Master
SAHPRA operates under the auspices of the DoH. Minister Mkhize has already pronounced on how procurement and distribution is going to be handled. Thus, I doubt they'll accept an application from a provincial government.

Article just shows how we may acquire the bulk of our supply. WC going at it alone may not be prioritised by manufacturers.

SAHPRA approval for AstraZeneca?

You did ask earlier wrt wc purchasing vaccines and their approval.

ponder

Honorary Master
Those events do not necessarily have to be interconnected, you can procure something and have it sit in a warehouse and not delivered. And AstraZ can sell to the [national] government directly but can't sell to anyone else, private entities or state/provincial government. It's like an obscure way of [pre-]ordering goods before having them on hand for distribution, kind of a reminder on how tenders work with requiring pre-payment so that the tenderpreneur can buy the goods they are meant to be selling.

So where's the approval ForceFate was going on about a few posts up?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
So where's the approval ForceFate was going on about a few posts up?
Erm... I did not mention any preexisting approval. I asked how the WC government will get their choice of vaccine approved.

ponder

Honorary Master
Erm... I did not mention any preexisting approval. I asked how the WC government will get their choice of vaccine approved.

So how will the nat gov get theirs approved? And according to them they have already purchased 1.5m doses...

Agreed, all hands on deck --- but politics does not allow for that....the political calculations coming from the DA, ...local government elections are set for this year....their ineffective leader/ship has not been able to break the national government's strangle hold on the news cycle. Having tiffs over lockdowns and regulations - only gets you so far...Why did the IRR have to tap into the whole vaccine rollout as a proxy, where is the official opposition?
ANC will make a huff and a puff over this ... so expect pissing in the wind and the normal politicking ZA style....meanwhile the pandemic is ravaging through the most venerable of communities...

You missed the whole kerfuffle in the first week of this year after Steenhuisen called out the lack of a vaccine strategy and was criticised on social media for it? The DA got the ball rolling on this issue, with others, such as trade unions and the like, only following afterwards