Western Cape government defies Cabinet, set to acquire own Covid-19 vaccine

access

Honorary Master
just saw some news about 23 people dying in norway after recently receiving the pfizer vaccine, 13 of them in a nursing home.

seems to be real news, nothing in msm about it yet that ive seen though.

ponder

Honorary Master
Subscribers only link. Hold-up seems to be 30 day consultation period for vaccine classified as a GMO...

Thing is there is no approval yet for astrazeneca yet gov already purchased 1.5m doses yet there are people here questioning how the WC gov can buy vaccines without approval and how would they get them approved. Reeks of spite and double standards.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Thing is there is no approval yet for astrazeneca yet gov already purchased 1.5m doses yet there are people here questioning how the WC gov can buy vaccines without approval and how would they get them approved. Reeks of spite and double standards.
There's nothing wrong with my question. Absolutely nothing wrong given the directive by the minister of health that only national government will procure and distribute vaccines. It's a legitimate question.

Only time will answer the question since I couldn't get rational response.

ponder

Honorary Master
There's nothing wrong with my question. Absolutely nothing wrong given the directive by the minister of health that only national government will procure and distribute vaccines. It's a legitimate question.

Only time will answer the question since I couldn't get rational response.

Since when does the nat gov have a monopoly on procuring medication.

It's about saving lives, if more people can bring in vaccines then we can get this sorted out quicker. No court will deny this if we should go down that road. Do you remember what happened with the hiv antiretrovirals, the courts blasted the gov and we got antiretrovirals quickly!

ForceFate

Honorary Master

It's about saving lives, if more people can bring in vaccines then we can get this sorted out quicker. No court will deny this if we should go down that road. Do you remember what happened with the hiv antiretrovirals, the courts blasted the gov and we got antiretrovirals quickly!
As I pointed out, my question was brought upon by the minister's directive. I wanted to understand how their preferred suppliers were going to apply for approval if the DoH could just stall the approval process, citing the directive.

Evidently I'm not allowed to ask these type of questions.

ponder

Honorary Master
As I pointed out, my question was brought upon by the minister's directive. I wanted to understand how their preferred suppliers were going to apply for approval if the DoH could just stall the approval process, citing the directive.

Evidently I'm not allowed to ask these type of questions.

If gov interference in sahpra disallows other companies to apply for approval you are in very dangerous territory and pharmaceutical companies will take them to court and gov will have their asses handed to them. There are also constitutional issues regarding the bill of rights at stake here, the gov is just like ol' Cele making up their own stupid rules.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
If gov interference in sahpra disallows other companies to apply for approval you are in very dangerous territory and pharmaceutical companies will take them to court and gov will have their asses handed to them. There are also constitutional issues regarding the bill of rights at stake here, the gov is just like ol' Cele making up their own stupid rules.
So you still think I asked out of spite? For what? Entire province? Why? I have a family member there.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

There is one valid (though weak) justification: These vaccines will most likely be approved under an emergency licence, and the central government will provide a financial compensation scheme in case there are side effects.

There is a huge ethical difference between providing treatment to someone who is sick and likely to die, versus a vaccine for someone who is healthy and may never get sick.

We have not understood all of the implications yet. Please consider that before going off on a rant...

surface

Honorary Master
There seems lot of bravado on private companies suing government for covid this and vaccine that. Where is it coming from ? Who is suing for real ?

ponder

Honorary Master
There is one valid (though weak) justification: These vaccines will most likely be approved under an emergency licence, and the central government will provide a financial compensation scheme in case there are side effects.

There is a huge ethical difference between providing treatment to someone who is sick and likely to die, versus a vaccine for someone who is healthy and may never get sick.

We have not understood all of the implications yet. Please consider that before going off on a rant...

Does SA have a vaccine injury compensation fund?

ponder

Honorary Master
There seems lot of bravado on private companies suing government for covid this and vaccine that. Where is it coming from ? Who is suing for real ?

Do you really want to leave your health in the hands of the gov, we've seen how well they run things?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Does SA have a vaccine injury compensation fund?

Lots of announcements by Mkhize on 7 Jan, but not yet established:
Additional cost of distribution, administration (PHC, outreach, mass vaccination, community pharmacy), training, M+E, demand creation and No-fault immunisation compensation scheme between R270 and R64 are not included.

surface

Honorary Master
Do you really want to leave your health in the hands of the gov, we've seen how well they run things?
I am on a private health care plan, like probably 90% of mybb. Government is aiming to distribute it with priority to people not like me and private sector will distribute it with priority to people like me. In this specific case, I would rather have government do it. Just because I can afford it doesn't mean I should be the priority.

ponder

Honorary Master
I am on a private health care plan, like probably 90% of mybb. Government is aiming to distribute it with priority to people not like me and private sector will distribute it with priority to people like me. In this specific case, I would rather have government do it. Just because I can afford it doesn't mean I should be the priority.

Do you really think the gov is gonna procure 80 odd million doses of vaccine in a hurry? I don't trust the gov fsckall.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Do you really think the gov is gonna procure 80 odd million doses of vaccine in a hurry? I don't trust the gov fsckall.
I would be surprised if we can secure 10 million doses by the end of the year, and then we'll cock up the distribution somehow and have to toss a 3rd of what we get...

ponder

Honorary Master
I would be surprised if we can secure 10 million doses by the end of the year, and then we'll cock up the distribution somehow and have to toss a 3rd of what we get...

Hence my 2022 comment in another thread. Gov made claims of 20m doses but they cant back that up. It's not just the da making noise, even the sacp & unions etc are questioning them.

Last edited: