Western Cape government defies Cabinet, set to acquire own Covid-19 vaccine

ponder

Honorary Master
Lots of announcements by Mkhize on 7 Jan, but not yet established:

Why could a provincial gov not establish it's own vaccine injury compensation fund? It's a very rare thing outside of 'western' countries and even if you don't establish your own you could approach someone like Lloyds etc for cover. As far as I know SA never had such a fund and people had to litigate through the courts before. Ven if we had ssuch a fund the gov would give you peanuts.

ponder

Honorary Master
So you still think I asked out of spite? For what? Entire province? Why? I have a family member there.

No, your question was valid. My response earlier was emotional and out of line for which I apologise.

I however still don't think the nat gov should have a monopoly on importing and distributing vaccines as I have more trust in others to do the job. Ultimately nobody should be forced to rely on gov for their health as their track record is atrocious.

/dev/null

No, your question was valid. My response earlier was emotional and out of line for which I apologise.

I however still don't think the nat gov should have a monopoly on importing and distributing vaccines as I have more trust in others to do the job. Ultimately nobody should be forced to rely on gov for their health as their track record is atrocious.
At the moment the vaccines are a scarce resource and so it makes sense that governments would want to control the procurement and distribution. Even if WC was able to procure the vaccine (which will not happen), they will also insist on controlling the distribution, eg: health workers and elderly first, blah, blah, blah.

This will become a non-issue once the vaccines are no longer scarce resource in a year or two.