Western Digital launches WD TV Live Hub in SA

SouthBit

Dealer
Nice product. Pity about the drive they fit it with. WD's 1TB aren't great, more specifically the EARS series, we've sent 2 back for RMAs this week already.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Nice. The guys at our office are all building media centers from some Atom units we are sourcing for a project but I prefer the WD solution, and its cheaper. Just want to see about the HD reliability issue first.

rrh

Expert Member
Nice. The guys at our office are all building media centers from some Atom units we are sourcing for a project but I prefer the WD solution, and its cheaper. Just want to see about the HD reliability issue first.

After building my own media centre I decided to purchase a WD TV Live.

The unit is plugged into my CAT-5 home network, and accesses both shared drives & the Internet.

I is currently a very happy bunny ... :)

drukkie

Expert Member
Last edited:

Hemps

Honorary Master
I prefer HTPC where you can customize everything, but for play as you go - the WD doesnt seem bad, I see you can customize the interface.
Wonder if you can download Movie art etc?

Wolfy

having built my very own dedicated media centre i dont think ill ever need an alternative. But Id like if you guys could drop me a PM, my GF's boss wants a Media centre now too. Id rather let someone professional build it before I screw the whole thing up Im from JHB!

XBMC Live 10 FTW!!!!

Last edited:

Hemps

Honorary Master
XBMC is the way to go, if these media players gave you the same level of addons and movie, series art then they would be great.

soldierboi

This is a nice Unit but not worth the extra 1k for HDD.

I just recently bought the WD HD Live and Im really happy with the little guy. Using the WDLXtv firmware, which enables movies sheets (done) works with USB HUB (done) & I got two HDD plugged in (1.5Tb & 2Tb) and WiFi dongle and I'm Laughing :)

#WDRules :)

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
After building my own media centre I decided to purchase a WD TV Live.

The unit is plugged into my CAT-5 home network, and accesses both shared drives & the Internet.

I is currently a very happy bunny ... :)

I work in an office with LINUX geeks who want to suffer. Me, I like things just to work. I'm too old to care and tired of trying to explain to wife why item x needs to be upgraded once again.

Plug 'n Play is all I want, thats why I have an LG PVR and never bothered to build my own with MythTV.

BlackBox

Banned
Can access files on it from the internet like I do when I use my laptop? In other words, can it be used as a basic Internet server?

nerosa

I still think the WD TV Live is a better option, just in case a drive fails, I don't need to take the whole thing in for repairs. Having a PC sit next the TV doesn't look nice to me, so the Live was/is a good buy, I bought mine in Nov 2009 and I haven't had a problem. Now that it's out of warranty, I will change firmware.

Also, the Hub has been out for a couple of months from Pinnacle Africa :D

Last edited:

jGLZa

How does the wireless work with this. Had problems with the previous WD live as well a the Patriot Box Office

southafricanrob

Compared to the WDTV Live??

Hi there,
Anyone with first hand experience of the Live vs Live Hub? - sounds likes Live with custom firmware is as good at half the price....Be interested to know what little day to day features make it better/worse ....for e.g. I have the Gen 1 WDTV and hate the way it fast forwards and that I can't set up folder view as the default...

Also a big question is whether its possible to make music playlists ON the device - that feature seems to be absent from all WDs so far...would love to be able to scroll through the library and add from the menu instead of having to make playlist files on my laptop and mission them across...

zaphod

I also have a a WD TV Live. Very happy with it.

Regular firmware updates are not just bug fixes. More features are added as well.

Mr Feesh

Expert Member
will it be possible to install sickbeard on this? So i can access it anywhere on my network.
Also does it automatically get the metadata

Last edited: