What age did you move out from your parents house ?

Grant

Honorary Master
worst thing ever

i moved from a large comfortable house with a huge swimming pool and ducted airconditioning, into a shitty little bachelor flat that was like a sauna every day from 3pm !

geezer

Expert Member
18 years and 4 months. Then I went off to do my 2 years' national service. Matjiesfontein station, 7th of July 3am was sooooooo damn cold! Eventually arrived at 7SAI Phalaborwa, and they were wearing t-shirts and short pants!:eek:

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
19, failed a year at school due to substance abuse, then moved 900m down the road from home to the mines Single quarters....

RuhanSA079

18. Moved to the big city, to koshuis for 2 years to study. Began working at age 20, renting a flat.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
My parents had a rule from the day I started working that I would give them 20% of my salary as rent with the idea that obviously at some point I would rather pay rent and have my own place than stay with them.

Then when I was 23 my old man had a stroke and became a paraplegic and so part of the home conversion to make things a bit more wheelchair accessible and disabled friendly they decided to convert the existing double garages and what used to be my room into an apartment as income generation down the line having gone on disability early retirement.

So I stuck around renting the apartment to both help out financially and also physically.

By 27 my mom was coping well enough with the old man and I bought a house and moved out.

OCP

Expert Member
At 22 after I got married (we had bought a house 1 year prior but only moved in after the wedding)

RedViking

Nord of the South
My parents had a rule from the day I started working that I would give them 20% of my salary as rent with the idea that obviously at some point I would rather pay rent and have my own place than stay with them.

Then when I was 23 my old man had a stroke and became a paraplegic and so part of the home conversion to make things a bit more wheelchair accessible and disabled friendly they decided to convert the existing double garages and what used to be my room into an apartment as income generation down the line having gone on disability early retirement.

So I stuck around renting the apartment to both help out financially and also physically.

By 27 my mom was coping well enough with the old man and I bought a house and moved out.
Hectic!

RedViking

Nord of the South
When I was 20 my parents decided to leave the province, forcing me to drop out of varsity and find a job in a clothing store to have enough money to eat.

Good times.
What you do now?

Drifter

Honorary Master
16, off to national service, after that 3 years study, stayed in rez. When I finished studying, got my own flat.

IssiAmd

Kudos to you
Good karma is guaranteed on assisting of one's parents
I've seen this happen to so many, the reverse as well...

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Went to boarding school at 13 and to university after school. Never really moved back apart from visiting over holidays.