What age did you move out from your parents house ?

cerebus

Honorary Master
15, my parents sent me back to the UK to live with my grandparents to get away from the hectic stuff that was happening at home. I never went back to live in the US after that.

eg2505

Honorary Master
so somebody still living at home with their parents, is
a) never going to grow up?
b) a vegetable and will never leave home
c) feels sorry for them and doing out of love for them?

Nick333

Honorary Master
so somebody still living at home with their parents, is
a) never going to grow up?
b) a vegetable and will never leave home
c) feels sorry for them and doing out of love for them?
Depends how old you are. Late 20s seems like when it starts to get a bit weird.

Flarsiep

Started working one month before i turned 22, after studies. Had to pay parents a big chunk of my salary as Rent.
My mom went out and found me a place to rent, told me to bugger off now. Was saving for lounge suite, tv, and kitchenware, but with car payments and their hectic rent i was screwed. Man i was pissed.....

Turned out all the money i paid rent for two years was kept and they gave it to me. Said they knew i was gonna waste it so they kept it for me under pretense of rent, meanwhile they were saving up for me. When they thought there was enough for kitchen and lounge suite they kicked me out.

Cius

Executive Member
Started working one month before i turned 22, after studies. Had to pay parents a big chunk of my salary as Rent.
My mom went out and found me a place to rent, told me to bugger off now. Was saving for lounge suite, tv, and kitchenware, but with car payments and their hectic rent i was screwed. Man i was pissed.....

Turned out all the money i paid rent for two years was kept and they gave it to me. Said they knew i was gonna waste it so they kept it for me under pretense of rent, meanwhile they were saving up for me. When they thought there was enough for kitchen and lounge suite they kicked me out.
Similar story with my in-laws other than the bugger off part. Really cool thing to do. Helped us a lot with a deposit for a house years later.

Zuner

Expert Member
Lots of people couldn't wait, I could. I left at 28, then went back for 6 months and now i'm out again and fully stable.
But I didn't want to leave, despite my parents being over 100km from work.

I paid no rent, contributed nothing financially, food, groceries toiletries including deodorant and razors were all bought for me. Did no chores.
Had all the freedom and my own space.

P.S I used that privilege to save up to prepare to buy a house.

Marsie27

17, after matric went to study in a different city, only came back for holidays after that. I had a bursary so was largely self-supporting from then on.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
1 month after my 25th birthday (about 18 months after I started working). Was told I could either pay them rent or save up for a deposit on a place when I started working, I picked the save option and bought a place.