What age did you move out from your parents house ?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
26/27, I had been working full time for a year (after an extended study period with working part time).

I paid rent when I stopped studying and worked full time. My dad was working overseas for most of that time so I think she was happy to have me there. I Also got married at 26 and the wife was still studying so we only moved out at the end of her studies.

Its a big house so had our own space to live and so it wasn't bad. I was also completely financially independent when I moved out, a lot of people who move out often do it with an allowance or some kind of financial link to their parents. (Medical aid/insurance etc)

krycor

Honorary Master

Been an interesting time since.. went back once after being unemployed for a bit after a year and half and was preparing for a move north. If i earned decently i'd be abroad already but unfortunately you need to earn x to qualify to for a visa back then (with degree) and have a massive deposit which is possible when your income don't cover living.

This go round (global recession) i finally have the experience and earning potential to qualify for a visa outright besides the fact that companies actively recruit abroad albeit limited. Hopefully i get to live abroad and experience a good economy with good employment prospects for once in my life.

spiff

Expert Member
living with parents from birth including
12 school years
1 year of college
2 years army
3 years work/study - saved up and bought all my household stuff plus motorbike & car while living with parents and still paying board & lodging.
left home at 24yrs.

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Moved out at 18 to go study in Stellenbosch, about 500k's from home in a nice flat thankful it wasn't res cause I wouldn't have been able to pull the girls I did if it wasn't for that flat. I'm 25 now and haven't been home apart from the odd visit here and there. It's honestly been the best years of my life so far.

Curious_Al

27.... could’ve moved out a lot sooner to rent but decided to wait till I saved up a descent deposit to buy a house.

Topdoggdbn

Out the house into an outbuilding in the yard when married @ 28.
Recently Out the yard @ 36.
Parents are old and not self sufficient. So still stop by everyday.

Nithan15

Expert Member
27 , family was not very well off so I stayed at home to help out. Extended the house(added 2 rooms and a double garage) and bought them a new car ( BMW E36) before I left.

ben M

24 and still living at home. Well, my mom passed away in 2016, so I've been looking after the house since then.

Ecko_1

Right after articles at age 25. Spent 4 months in the USA as my first bit alone. Came back to my parents for a few weeks before getting married and moving into our own place.

Smokey888

21, I bought the house they lived in two years later at age of 23, they now live in the Granny Flat

Suspect99

Executive Member
I moved to Durban at 22 for work. Spent 5 years there. Moved back into parents place at 27.
Its a huge place, too big for them. and it would be silly to pay rent etc for a seperate place. I contribute to the household obviously