What age did you move out from your parents house ?

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
There's nothing for anyone in that place. That place is the reason Trump labelled SA a shthole.
100% agreed. I suspect its gotten worse than when I moved out 12 years ago. I can't really say I only go and visit the folks twice yearly at most.

WorldWarII

i found myself in gov. very early but the way things go these days in SA I simply do not see how a teenager or young adult can move out on their own. Financially its incredibly difficult, then theres safety and all the rest. I was, in a way, lucky because I was forced to 'grow up' (I actually just drank alot more) , but there were avenues for people in my situation. Today. I fear for our youth. Might even end up that when you rparents die you just move your stuff to their room and your kids into yours and recycle.

KingRat1

At 19 after 1 month of my 2 years in SANDF finnished.
My mother brought me to Cape Town for a Job interview, droped me at a friend of the family in Somerset West and returned to George.

Polly101

Similar story with my in-laws other than the bugger off part. Really cool thing to do. Helped us a lot with a deposit for a house years later.
me too, 20% of gross salary was handed to me - covered my deposit for my own townhouse (at 25)

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I moved to Durban at 22 for work. Spent 5 years there. Moved back into parents place at 27.
Its a huge place, too big for them. and it would be silly to pay rent etc for a seperate place. I contribute to the household obviously
I was wondering why there's a lack of Indians while scrolling through this thread until now :whistling: