What are my rights (as a homeowner in a complex)?

MoozlyBelle

We bought a sectional title in a complex in Parklands, more than two years ago. The complex is managed by a body corporate who is utterly incapable of doing anything. The complex obviously does not have fibre and for the last two years I have been actively trying to get fibre installed in the complex but the body corporate wants to know nothing. They keep on making up excuses on top of excuses why fibre cannot be installed. This matter is starting to affect my job and I want to know what my rights are as a homeowner? Is there anything I can do? Please help! I am so desperate.

Quintrix

As a homeowner you are the body corporate. From all the owners a group of trustees are selected. They become local "directors". The in turn may have a management agent that runs things /pay municipality etc.

Find out who are the trustees. They have ultimate say. Get it discussed at AGM and explain benefits included for all owners such as increased property prices. Owners may then vote in favor. If they do then trustees must make it happen

RonSwanson

Executive Member
As a homeowner you are the body corporate. From all the owners a group of trustees are selected. They become local "directors". The in turn may have a management agent that runs things /pay municipality etc.

Find out who are the trustees. They have ultimate say. Get it discussed at AGM and explain benefits included for all owners such as increased property prices. Owners may then vote in favor. If they do then trustees must make it happen
Largely agree with your post, but for the highlighted portion. Property prices, for the past 5-6 years, dependent on area, have been basically static. In some areas there are actually losses. This is all due to the stagnant economy, and most recently the threat of expropriation of property.

This means that there is an oversupply of homes for sale, with far too few qualified buyers (and a whole lot of wannabees, who are waiting for the government's bi-decade purge of defaulters from the creditworthiness databases). Having (decent) fiber in a complex does NOT increase the value of a property, but does make a property a little more saleable, those without go to /dev/null, unless they appeal to peeps without a need for low-latency connectivity.

MoozlyBelle

At the AGM owners voted in favor of fibre (two years ago) and that has still not materialized. What can I do?

Brute

At the AGM owners voted in favor of fibre (two years ago) and that has still not materialized. What can I do?

followup with the trustees they should tell you whats happening. otherwise at next Agm motivate other owners then they can nominate and vote you chairperson then of cause you can make things happen as long as other trustees agree with you