What are Telkom's plans for Plett?

moron51

Telkom currently has VDSL along Longships (the Robberg side of town), but no wireless coverage at all as far as I can see. When I'm down there, I use Rain 4G on Afrihost, which works fine. But if OpenServe is phasing out "all" ADSL exchanges, how does Telkom plan to migrate the existing user base in Plett?
A Telkom fixed LTE service using a mast on the Airport Road "pine tree" high site would work, I guess. But where are the fibre networks on this?

eddief1

Expert Member
Telkom currently has VDSL along Longships (the Robberg side of town), but no wireless coverage at all as far as I can see. When I'm down there, I use Rain 4G on Afrihost, which works fine. But if OpenServe is phasing out "all" ADSL exchanges, how does Telkom plan to migrate the existing user base in Plett?
A Telkom fixed LTE service using a mast on the Airport Road "pine tree" high site would work, I guess. But where are the fibre networks on this?

samarlink.co.za

Drop me a PM if you need anymore info

sydCPT

Who exactly is 'samarlink'? I live in Poortjies and all the man holes are Octotel, however, I was told the FNO is Samarlink. Now when I go to the Samarlink website, it just redirects me to a broken link on Octotels website. Are they a subcontractor of Octotel? Or is there maybe a build-and-manage type of relationship between the two entities?

Also, if the network is Octotel, can I get any ISP on the Octotel network, or only Cool Ideas/RSAweb?

eddief1

Expert Member
Samarlink is a local FNO which has been acquired by Octotel

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Most of plet is covered by supersonic fixed lte, works pretty well if you cant wait for fibre.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu