What are the alternatives to Telkom?

f22raptor

Since May 4, when we resumed work, Telkom has been extremely slow at work. We realized we had a 35-minute window in the morning (0830-0905hrs) to send emails then we would have to wait until an hour or so before knockoff time to do it again. This has led to many important emails not being sent or not filing returns on e-filing resulting in a penalties. We are an accountant firm. Sometimes we have to send these emails from home. We also make use of Google sheets & Airtable which are online tools. If the internet is so slow to send an email its impossible to use these tools.

My Telkom LTE at home has been very slow every night since lockdown from 1930hrs - 2200hrs. Tonight it is especially slow.

We need to get rid of Telkom once & for all because our schedule now revolves around them. We are on smart broadband at work and have a landline. In our area there is no fibre. What other companies can do better?

powermzii

Expert Member
Since May 4, when we resumed work, Telkom has been extremely slow at work. We realized we had a 35-minute window in the morning (0830-0905hrs) to send emails then we would have to wait until an hour or so before knockoff time to do it again. This has led to many important emails not being sent or not filing returns on e-filing resulting in a penalties. We are an accountant firm. Sometimes we have to send these emails from home. We also make use of Google sheets & Airtable which are online tools. If the internet is so slow to send an email its impossible to use these tools.

My Telkom LTE at home has been very slow every night since lockdown from 1930hrs - 2200hrs. Tonight it is especially slow.

We need to get rid of Telkom once & for all because our schedule now revolves around them. We are on smart broadband at work and have a landline. In our area there is no fibre. What other companies can do better?
Where are you located, both from a work and home perspective. Some solutions are area dependant

websquadza

WebSquad
Both areas are covered by fibre. DM me your addresses and I’ll confirm.

Aravose

A good alternative to Telkom would be to buy 2 coconuts and bang them together. Presently coconuts are selling for R20 each at Woolies.

f22raptor

With Telkom, you just buy the LTE sim card for R1 and you are on your way. You can choose to skip the month without internet if you don't have the money because you use airtime to buy the LTE data.

Jake45

Expert Member
From my experience the MTN Fixed LTE service is far superior to the normal prepaid Telkom Mobile LTE service but I do not have good Telkom coverage in my suburb.

The MTN Fixed LTE bundles do not require you to sign up for a contract but you need to pay for them every month using a credit card or a debit order. If you want to terminate the service you need to do this online from the Afrihost ClientZone before the 15th of the month or you will be charged for the following month before the service is terminated.

You might be able to pay for the service using a Tyme Bank card but I have not tried this myself. I don't think that they allow you to terminate and then reactivate a few weeks later but you would need to discuss that with Afrihost/WebAfrica etc.

If you currently own a Huawei B525, B612, B618 or ZTE MF286 then you only require a SIM only package which starts at R199pm for 30+30GB from Afrihost which is a bit cheaper than the closest Telkom prepaid 61 day 60+60GB package which sells for R459 or R230pm if you split it over two months.

If you require a new router then it might be better to look at one of Fixed MTN packages from WebAfrica. Their cheapest packages start at R319 for a 50+50GB bundle but they sell refurbished routers for R999 that can be used on the MTN network. The other ISPs charge around R1800 for a new router and also require that you pay an additional R50 per month for the SIM card which is now bundled with the new router.

If you want to go ahead, I would try to purchase a refurbished B618 router from WebAfrica which should be a bit faster than the B525 that is also available. If you would prefer a smaller, cheaper 30+30GB package from Afrihost you should be able to move across after a few months depending on whether WebAfrica attaches any conditions when you purchase the refurbished router from them. You will need to contact them for the details. Look for the Refurbished Router links at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
With Telkom, you just buy the LTE sim card for R1 and you are on your way. You can choose to skip the month without internet if you don't have the money because you use airtime to buy the LTE data.
Actually with Telkom it sounds more like you skip the month's internet and have to pay anyway from what you're describing, or am I reading your opening post wrong?
The time you've spent on this thread could easily have been spent phoning webafrica or just using Google, but who am I to argue with your perception of value for money.

f22raptor

Actually with Telkom it sounds more like you skip the month's internet and have to pay anyway from what you're describing, or am I reading your opening post wrong?
The time you've spent on this thread could easily have been spent phoning webafrica or just using Google, but who am I to argue with your perception of value for money.
If I decide not to use their service for August, I won't pay anything.107102807_4055410657818820_8893280785492402483_o (1).jpg

Jake45

Expert Member
If you want the flexibility of an affordable prepaid LTE service then Telkom is probably your best option. If the service deteriorates to the point where it affects your work then MTN Fixed LTE might be a better option.

Cell C also offers a 50GB prepaid data bundle for R500 that expires after 6 months. If you don't require a lot of data that might also be an option but it would get expensive if you use more than 10GB per month.

Last edited:

f22raptor

Telkom just called to tell us we owe R1 700 which should be paid soon or else they will pause our internet connection. I told them we won't be paying because their service has been crap since the 4th of May.

Right now we are hot-spotting an employee's phone so we can send & receive emails.

At home, on Sunday my Telkom LTE lost internet connection from 6 pm to midnight. On Monday it did the same from 2200 up to this morning when I left for work. I won't be surprised if it is still the same when I get home at 1700hrs. This has put my studying plans into disarray as I rely on udemy and some online tools such as Figma.

Well done Telkom.

grok

Honorary Master
Telkom just called to tell us we owe R1 700 which should be paid soon or else they will pause our internet connection. I told them we won't be paying because their service has been crap since the 4th of May.

Right now we are hot-spotting an employee's phone so we can send & receive emails.

At home, on Sunday my Telkom LTE lost internet connection from 6 pm to midnight. On Monday it did the same from 2200 up to this morning when I left for work. I won't be surprised if it is still the same when I get home at 1700hrs. This has put my studying plans into disarray as I rely on udemy and some online tools such as Figma.

Well done Telkom.
Why don't you simply go with whomever the phone hotspot is with? Seems to work for you guys..

f22raptor

Its anemplo
Why don't you simply go with whomever the phone hotspot is with? Seems to work for you guys..
Its an employee's personal phone. If she goes outside to take a call or to lunch, there won't be internet for the rest of the employees.