What are the Cigarette Brands being sold in South Africa under Lockdown?

Which Cigarette Manufacturers have you seen with illicit products for sale during Lockdown?

• Gold Leaf Tobacco

Votes: 58 33.5%
  • Golden Tobacco Company

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • Carnilinx

Votes: 45 26.0%
  • Amalgamated Tobacco Manufacturing

Votes: 57 32.9%
  • British American Tobacco

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Excise Duty Stamp - Yes

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • Excise Duty Stamp - No

Votes: 61 35.3%
  • How much was cost/box <R40 ?

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • How much was cost/box >R50 ?

Votes: 63 36.4%
  • How much was cost/box >R90 ?

Votes: 77 44.5%

• Total voters

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
That's insane!

R140 a packet for 20's everytime you light a smoke you burn R7. The ANC Government is real bastards!

Bought a bottle of KWV 3 year brandy though for R480 that is also like 3 times the normal price.
I was in Delft yesterday. R10 per loose cigarette. And people are buying.

My neighbour send me a message a few minutes ago R550 per carton of Kings (I think that's the name).

I paid R110 per box of Caeser Gold on Sunday, this is up from R56 per box last week (I think I posted about it in this same thread).

Onto the liquor. The only thing I could get hold of is Parow Brandy being sold by a buddy. He had boxes of the stuff in the garage, but doesn't want to give me his supplier. Selling price is R385, but he charged me R250 per bottle. Given that he's in the import/export industry, I'm almost certain this is stock which is destined for foreign markets

lilggg

Expert Member
Nowadays
CK - R350 - R600 a carton
Bastille - R500
Black&Red R450
Kings - R450

Early Days
Marlboro beyond - R700
Stuyvie Red - R1400 for Carton 30's
Winston - R50 pack

MirageF1

Executive Member
If you not getting imports, you prices gonna sky rocket. Find someone that imports till factories open again ;)

On that note, the people I spoke to in neighboring countries is that their stock also running low with all the "export" back into SA.

Might have to start looking at across the seas to find a fix.
Good f luck with that. Plus shipping.
Seen the price of fags in Europe or Aus/NZ? US $20+

Makes our Covid gouged prices look like Black Friday specials! :laugh:

Oh and don't forget our notoriously efficient postal service and customs.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Good f luck with that. Plus shipping.
Seen the price of fags in Europe or Aus/NZ? US $20+

Makes our Covid gouged prices look like Black Friday specials! :laugh:

Oh and don't forget our notoriously efficient postal service and customs.
True that. Only luck will be with Zim, Botswana, Moz, Swaziland & Lesotho.

gottagoon

Expert Member
I've got a guy checking his supplier tonight. Hopefully he can organise smokes for me at a reasonable price again :)

Prim0

Almost nothing hear in Mitchell's Plain. From what I was told nearly every store is out of stock, the ones that have any are charging R10+ for a loose cigarette. Beedi's is like the only thing people are able to get, was informed last night that a local supplier had a decent stock pile's worth. Dad has a friend who own's a small shop and was on route to purchase a few but when he got there a Sumalian came and bought the entire stock, 110 worth. Seems like those with deep pockets are the only one's able and willing to purchase it and then price gouge the living hell out of their stock.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Capitalist pigs.

I hate freedom of sale( but only when it hurts my pocket) :cool: :D

Prim0

Ok even that is a bit steep for me.
Can you ask to pay on credit or in installments?:ROFL:
The same lady charges R350 for 25g. You would be better off quitting than paying such lunatic prices. One day I'll be telling my kids of when South Africa didn't have cigarettes.

MirageF1

Executive Member
The same lady charges R350 for 25g. You would be better off quitting than paying such lunatic prices. One day I'll be telling my kids of when South Africa didn't have cigarettes.
You need a smoke dude.

Did you ignore or just not notice the humour in my post.

/lights up a lekka fag

Carol35

Expert Member
Seems like stocks are gone on my side too. 2 days without being able to buy anything at any of the usual spots. I’m also not paying R200 a box.

This may be the end for me until they are legal again....I’m furious and resentful at the levels the government has forced me to stoop in the last few weeks to get a cig. F@*ckers!!

Im on these now until they are back in the shops.. :crying: :crying: :crying:

Attachments

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Seems like stocks are gone on my side too. 2 days without being able to buy anything at any of the usual spots. I’m also not paying R200 a box.

This may be the end for me until they are legal again....I’m furious and resentful at the levels the government has forced me to stoop in the last few weeks to get a cig. F@*ckers!!

Good choice, one that I have also made. I am very reluctant to pay R800-R900 a carton, I have the money, but I don't know which Zuma's greasy fund I am paying it into. So I have decided to quit, and to vape during the first couple of days. It works, and I am no longer anxious about where my next pack of cigarettes are going to come from (or where they were before being cigarettes :laugh:).

Supervan II

Expert Member

That's going to run out soon too!

MirageF1

Executive Member
Fokken naaimaasjiens the lot of them.

If they ever had a chance of me being a fairly fun loving SA, their tyrannical, absolutely destructive handling of this fiasco has turned me into a top level anti ANC and current SA guaverment supporter.

LetsDance

I have stopped smoking for a while. The withdrawal is hell, but I refuse to pay 1000 rand for a carton of cocaine, I mean cigarettes. I am kind of mean that way, which is why I never became a crack addict.
Exactimo!

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I have stopped smoking for a while. The withdrawal is hell, but I refuse to pay 1000 rand for a carton of cocaine, I mean cigarettes. I am kind of mean that way, which is why I never became a crack addict.

Exactimo!
Last cigarette I had was on Thursday last week. I aint buying overpriced smokes, and will start again as soon as the twats allow it. They will just have lost a lot of pocket money in the meantime

RonSwanson

Expert Member

Exactimo!
If everyone did this, the FFF selling the overpriced smokes and their edward zuma bosses can start worrying about how they are going to get rid of thousands of donkey pancreas smelling cigarettes :ROFL: Pricess will have to drop, and no doubt there will be peeps that will pick them up.