What Are We Doing As White English Speaking People in SA?

I’ve never been a people’s pleaser and once people get to know this trick then they get to laugh with you. The idea of humor is to bring everone down from their high horses. It is good for us all to be humiliated every now and then.
I have the perception that humour is intended to amuse people The OED shows it as 'The quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.'
You appear to believe that the intention of humour is to humiliate. So the impression you give is that because you are not a people pleaser others should accommodate you by accepting humiliation at your hands, if only because you think it is good for them. We are not speaking the same language,
You are not humorous at all: just ignorant of the need to be polite to others.

me_

I don't understand where all the anglo-boer war, concentration camps, etc comes from.
As an English South African, I don't (and have never) associated with being British. I am as British as I am Afrikaans - not at all.

I think this is one of the key differences between English South Africans and Afrikaners. English South Africans typically (not all) have a weak historic and cultural identity while Afrikaners have a much stronger one.
This is probably why there aren't English South African groups fighting to protect this heritage - because there isn't a strong bond here.

AdrianH

Expert Member
I don't understand where all the anglo-boer war, concentration camps, etc comes from.
As an English South African, I don't (and have never) associated with being British. I am as British as I am Afrikaans - not at all.

I think this is one of the key differences between English South Africans and Afrikaners. English South Africans typically (not all) have a weak historic and cultural identity while Afrikaners have a much stronger one.
This is probably why there aren't English South African groups fighting to protect this heritage - because there isn't a strong bond here.
I don't know any English speakers in SA that actually call themselves British, they call themselves South African. Even my 70 year old dad born and bred in England says he is South African now days, and even criticises the British.

Sl8er

Executive Member
I have the perception that humour is intended to amuse people The OED shows it as 'The quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.'
You appear to believe that the intention of humour is to humiliate. So the impression you give is that because you are not a people pleaser others should accommodate you by accepting humiliation at your hands, if only because you think it is good for them. We are not speaking the same language,
I wouldn't read too much into it, though.
"Teasing" people (not maliciously) is seen as a form of endearment.

Example:
You won't find Koos ripping into strangers / people he just met, for no reason.
Once you've spent a little time with Koos and he feels comfortable with some kind of connection to you, he might tease you a little.
If you can take it and dish it out, you'll probably end up being the best of pals :)

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
I mess around with people all the time, they do the same with me. We laugh about it. I work on building sites most of the day. If you don't joke around while doing hard labour then life gets dull. Afrikaners are known to do this, die "hy byt jou net weer k@k attitude" comes through time and time again.

My experience has been that black South Africans in particular get very annoyed when you call them mamparras for making mistakes, but they quickly realise that this is a joke. Everyone who worked with me was very quick to show me my mistakes and 'give me my own back". This is how you build team spirit and progress.

There is nothing more fun than to cut a windgat lightly down to size. It is a good learning experience as well to not show too much self-confidence.

Last edited:

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
I would just like to add, I think some of the biggest misunderstandings in SA is about how the different cultures have different sense of humors.

[QUOTE="Nicodeamus, post: 22644052, member: 18726"

My experience has been that black South Africans in particular get very annoyed when you call them mamparras for making mistakes, [/QUOTE]
Doing you best to stir up dislike and annoyance? Interesting habit.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
And spellings! You could be an American.
[QUOTE="Nicodeamus, post: 22644052, member: 18726"

My experience has been that black South Africans in particular get very annoyed when you call them mamparras for making mistakes,
Doing you best to stir up dislike and annoyance? Interesting habit.

At least I know how to quote.

Either way, if you have a carrot up your ass then expect me to try and get you to come down to size. I can't take too serious people.

I don't know any English speakers in SA that actually call themselves British, they call themselves South African. Even my 70 year old dad born and bred in England says he is South African now days, and even criticises the British.
I am British, but not SA as I am only part time here. I too criticise the British: there is plenty of ammunition!

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
I am British, but not SA as I am only part time here. I too criticise the British: there is plenty of ammunition!
I don't think that anyone should accept collective guilt for people who are long dead's actions. So don't worry, I might call you a soutie every now and then and date your women, but that is about all that I have against you.

At least I know how to quote.

Either way, if you have a carrot up your ass then expect me to try and get you to come down to size. I can't take too serious people.
I am pleased that you have that skill.
I have looked, and can see no carrot.
It is interesting to know what you can't take.

I don't think that anyone should accept collective guilt for people who are long dead's actions. So don't worry, I might call you a soutie every now and then and date your women, but that is about all that I have against you.
Neither do I. I had to look up 'soutie' - seems these days like enough for a race war. But I fly anyway. So as an insult it is 100 years or so out of date. A bit like your water, sewage and electricity. I have only one woman you could try to date, and you are free to try. Do you prefer roses or lilies for your funeral?

Sollie

Expert Member
Neither do I. I had to look up 'soutie' - seems these days like enough for a race war. But I fly anyway. So as an insult it is 100 years or so out of date. A bit like your water, sewage and electricity. I have only one woman you could try to date, and you are free to try. Do you prefer roses or lilies for your funeral?
Are you a "kruidjie-roer-my-nie"?