What Are We Doing As White English Speaking People in SA?

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
This is a bit after the fact but anyway. That's a propaganda line, many famalies that were already sheltered with extended family in the cape colony were forcibly relocated against everyone invovled's wishes to the camps. The idea was always to terrorize the Boere into giving up by mistreating their families. .
Please can you provide documentary evidence for this statement of yours

British Concentration Camps of the South African War 1900-1902

rambo919

Expert Member

I honestly cannot remember where I read it, years ago I read a lot about local history and it could have been from any number of those books..... Giliomee's "Die Afrikaners" (it's been translated to english too) should have such references or references to it though..... I remember it's bibliography being huge.

Off Topic: I really should re-read it at some point mind you, it's biases aside it (not the abridged version) really was a remarkable read. All sorts of odd little histories no one ever teaches nowadays like the white rogue (forgot his name) that virtually took over a black tribe for a while for example.

Last edited:

Sollie

Expert Member

That is not the most apt link. However you get the clues in it. Perhaps read the other links used as source material for the website you quote.

https://angloboerwar.com/boer-war
In response, the British embarked on a scorched earth policy to deny supplies to the fighters. Approximately 30,000 farms were burnt. In March 1901 the need to restrict the movement of the Boers brought the development of 8,000 blockhouses and 3,700 miles of wire fencing guarded by 50,000 troops. This was followed by a number of 'drives' which had the intention of cornering the Boers but the operations mainly produced large numbers of displaced Boer and African families. These refugees were sent to concentration camps around South Africa. These measures were largely responsible for bringing the Boers to the negotiation table to end the War.
Some of the displaced sought shelter at family in the Cape. Which in turn leads to the website you quote. Example, Kimberly:
https://www2.lib.uct.ac.za/mss/bccd/Histories/Kimberley/

Look for the words "Cape rebel". Also consider https://www2.lib.uct.ac.za/mss/bccd/Farm/15636/Slypklip/ - Cape???

Also in the same article, you'll see word of families "brought in", which goes to those directly captured and referred to as "sent to".

My own great grandmother saw their farm burnt down at night. She and her children were rounded up and sent to Warrenton. Interestingly Warrenton is decribed as:
Apart from the ‘authorised’ camps which produced regular monthly reports and statistics, there were a number of informal sites where refugees congregated at military posts and were rationed by the British army. Some such groups, like those at Warrenton or Ladybrand, were eventually transferred to formal camps.
Yet she and her family were not a refugees? After being sent to another camp, they ended up in Kimberly.

This illustrates the problem I have with partial/incorrect info. Sometimes the devil's in the details vs what you know.

This also explains why my paternal grandmother, that lost some of her siblings, had quite a problem with my dad marrying his English wife from Welsh stock. Yet she came to accept and care about her new daughter in law. It probably also helped that my maternal grand mother got married again, to an Afrikaner. So much for the OP's contentions of a massive us vs them, Boertjie/Soutie, thing.

rambo919

Expert Member
My mother tells of a family member marrying a scott shortly after the war... caused quite an upset in the family but most (especially the younger generations) eventually mostly calmed down. Most of the actual wounds have scarred over by now but some still keep to old feuds.

Sollie

Expert Member
My mother tells of a family member marrying a scott shortly after the war... caused quite an upset in the family but most (especially the younger generations) eventually mostly calmed down. Most of the actual wounds have scarred over by now but some still keep to old feuds.
Ah, but the Scots are something else again, ask the English ... ;)

rambo919

Expert Member
Ah, but the Scots are something else again, ask the English ... ;)
True but there were the Scottish contingents that fought for the British.... none of the fighting colonies were well viewed except for the few that had significant enough numbers of volunteers joining the Boer side.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
That doesn’t make much sense...

Where’s @Spizz to get annoyed and explain why?
They fought for the British because they are British.

It's fairly common for British and English to be interchangeable in South Africa (wrongly), but it's a bit arrogant of the Scots to think that everyone should know what is right or wrong when we don't vote to change it.

Dave

Honorary Master
They fought for the British because they are British.
It’s crazy how a person can not know what makes up British...

It's fairly common for British and English to be interchangeable in South Africa (wrongly).
Only by ignorant people.

but it's a bit arrogant of the Scots to think that everyone should know what is right or wrong when we don't vote to change it.
Even if the Scots were independent they’d still technically be British (unless the island of Britain was renamed).

rambo919

Expert Member
For the love of.... "British" means anyone from the British Isles. The Irish were the first the renounce their Britishness, the Scots are kinda contemplating it.... the Welsh are fine apparently. Also for a time there were Scottish kings on the British throne.... it's a complicated history.

Dave

Honorary Master
For the love of.... "British" means anyone from the British Isles. The Irish were the first the renounce their Britishness, the Scots are kinda contemplating it.... the Welsh are fine apparently. Also for a time there were Scottish kings on the British throne.... it's a complicated history.
I think you should have paid more attention in geography.

Go find a map and look what the terms British Isles and Great Britain mean.

A hint, neither term refers to a country (and never has), you can’t renounce “Britishness” as it refers to a person from Great Britain, which isn’t a country but a geographical location.

Maybe you’re getting confused by the full name of the United Kingdom, but a Scot will always be British, just like an Englishman will, irrespective of the union (or not) of the respective nations.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I think you should have paid more attention in geography.

Go find a map and look what the terms British Isles and Great Britain mean.

A hint, neither term refers to a country (and never has), you can’t renounce “Britishness” as it refers to a person from Great Britain, which isn’t a country but a geographical location.

Maybe you’re getting confused by the full name of the United Kingdom, but a Scot will always be British, just like an Englishman will, irrespective of the union (or not) of the respective nations.
Yup, Welsh, Scottish and English are all British as they are on the Great Britain island, though would the Irish be British? As they on the island of Ireland which is only apart of the British Isles? Except the Northeners who are British?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Yup, Welsh, Scottish and English are all British as they are on the Great Britain island, though would the Irish be British? As they on the island of Ireland which is only apart of the British Isles? Except the Northeners who are British?
Ireland is a contentious issue, but technically it is part of the British Isles.