What are you buying after the September 12 event?

whatwhat

Executive Member
Will be getting the Watch 4 LTE and XS Max, as the battery life on my X hardly gets through the day.

Are you guys looking forward to anything?

Se@n

iPhone XS Plus / Max if it supports dual sim and watch 4 LTE if we get support for it in SA. Won’t replace the watch with another Bluetooth only model.

jnvdh06

I am tempted by the Xs Max, but I am still happy with my 8 Plus and I don't really have a reason to upgrade

Traq

Will depend on how big the Max is, since it will be a replacement for my wife's Galaxy.

CPTBoy

Which one of the 3 is closer to the size of the 7+?

It's time for an upgrade, so I'm not sure which one to get.

whatwhat

Executive Member
@whatwhat are you on Telkom Mobile?

I'll be getting the Xs as soon as it gets here and the Watch 4 in January
I am in Asia so the carriers here all support the LTE watch.

Vodacom should be one of the first in SA to provide watch LTE support. IOS 12 also brings other enhancements for them especially if you use VoWifi from them.

But if I was in SA then yes TM would be my provider.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Already bought a Watch Series 3 but will only have it on Friday.

Don't plan anything to upgrade my phone but I'm keen on the new iPad which is likely not being unveiled on 12th September.

I wish Apple would just announce them all together en kry klaar.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Vodacom should be one of the first in SA to provide watch LTE support. IOS 12 also brings other enhancements for them especially if you use VoWifi from them.
They just aren't interested even though they have all the hardware in place to support it I believe, it's the software engineering and consultancy side of things that has them stuck.

I'm actually hopeful Rain would be the first as they are the newest on the block and might have used their brains with some forward planning.

bluepoole

I am more confused than ever, I really don't know which model to get. I've been due for an upgrade since last month, but decided to wait for the new iPhones, and I'm glad to see they are launching in SA so soon after the announcement.

A few months ago I was set on the 8 Plus, since I was sceptical about FaceID. And I guess I still am, but with the claims that it is faster on the XS and XR, I am prepared to give it a go, and I now want my next phone to be all-screen with no physical home buttons.

But what to get?

I would love to go for the XS, but I actually want to save money (tired of high cellphone bills) so I am not sure. So a better choice would be the XR - but then I would have to wait longer (SA will probably only get it in November?), and the better display and dual camera of the XS are very appealing.

But then the XR has better battery life and a bigger screen...

And then I feel like just going for the X, it's already at a reduced monthly sub on Vodacom for September, but then I miss out on the 2018 specs (but then again, does one really need to have the latest specs? The X will already be a nice step up from my current 6S)

Then with regards to the dual sim functionality - how long will it take the network operators to start supporting eSIM? Yes, Vodacom and MTN both announced this week that they are actively working on it, but what if it takes another year? Then, for half of the phone's life on contract, it cannot even make use of that feature.

I guess at the end of the day, a very big factor will be pricing, so once that is announced for the XS and XR, which should be within the next few days, it will probably make my decision easier.

whatwhat

Executive Member
I am more confused than ever, I really don't know which model to get. I've been due for an upgrade since last month, but decided to wait for the new iPhones, and I'm glad to see they are launching in SA so soon after the announcement.

A few months ago I was set on the 8 Plus, since I was sceptical about FaceID. And I guess I still am, but with the claims that it is faster on the XS and XR, I am prepared to give it a go, and I now want my next phone to be all-screen with no physical home buttons.

But what to get?

I would love to go for the XS, but I actually want to save money (tired of high cellphone bills) so I am not sure. So a better choice would be the XR - but then I would have to wait longer (SA will probably only get it in November?), and the better display and dual camera of the XS are very appealing.

But then the XR has better battery life and a bigger screen...

And then I feel like just going for the X, it's already at a reduced monthly sub on Vodacom for September, but then I miss out on the 2018 specs (but then again, does one really need to have the latest specs? The X will already be a nice step up from my current 6S)

Then with regards to the dual sim functionality - how long will it take the network operators to start supporting eSIM? Yes, Vodacom and MTN both announced this week that they are actively working on it, but what if it takes another year? Then, for half of the phone's life on contract, it cannot even make use of that feature.

I guess at the end of the day, a very big factor will be pricing, so once that is announced for the XS and XR, which should be within the next few days, it will probably make my decision easier.
eSim is not really a feature that you should be losing sleep over.

Ghost02

Expert Member
Do you guys know whether the iStore usually puts demos out before the release date or if they will only be out on the 28th?