What are your biggest concerns regarding the 21-day lockdown?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
What are your biggest concerns regarding the 21-day lockdown in South Africa?

MightyQuin

Not amused...
What are your biggest concerns regarding the 21-day lockdown in South Africa?

Drinking and braaiing "alone"..I prefer doing it with other friends and family.

Kids playing cricket in my back yard and us all on the stoep, braaiing, drinking and chatting.

We usually have shared cook outs during Eater Weekends, visiting each other's houses etc.

:(

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The economy and the impact on businesses are a big concern to me. Edcon has already indicated that this can kill its business. I think many other businesses are facing the same thing.

Another concern is the impact on casual workers who rely on day-to-day income to put food on the table. They will need assistance with food and other basic goods, but I am not sure the government is planning for this.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
That our government diverts from the bit of democracy we have left, you gotta admit that RamaSuddenAction releasing the army on us must be the biggest communist wet dream..
lol it remains to be seen. I am sure they'll go away when this is done.

Cius

Executive Member
Last night our power went out at midnight. Hardly slept after that as electric fence is down, I need power to work today, etc. My fear was I was in for a 3 or 4 day outage and I'd lose all my frozen food etc. Fortunately it came on at about 5AM.

Next biggest fear is that it tanks our economy long term creating zim 2.0

Share prices are tanking including my company and I worry about my job.

These special emergency powers the government is currently using are sweeping. I worry that dishonest politicians will notice just how powerful this is and engineer another state like this at some point in the future for nefarious purposes. This one will probably remain benign and focused on saving life but too many people like Ace and Shivambu will look at this situation and think about how they can abuse it later to abuse an election or something.

Lastly I fear a general breakdown in law and order towards the end of this 21 day cycle by the poor when they run out of food and money. Would be very likely if they extend it at the last minute. Rioting, looting, and a general orgy of violence is very possible. Our police and army would be incapable of stopping it if millions spontaneously start protesting and looting. In that event they may come after private homes to get food, and other stuff. We could see many shops looted that would then be closed for extended periods. Foreigners would be hugely at risk.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
If the lockdown is extended there are going to be some serious problems in the townships. A lot of gardeners, domestic workers, etc are paid in cash, and a lot of generous employers have paid them the cash they would have earned during the lockdown in advance for those 3 weeks. But if the lockdown is extended beyond that what are these people going to do? There will be no way to get more cash to them.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
obstacles when trying to go outside shopping for food

Riot GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY