What best VPN to use from South Africa

Spamhater

Hi there all

There is so many pay VPN to use after searching on the internet , I`m now asking you guys to give me some ideas , what one to you use for a sever that use no logs, it will be truly be appreciated .

biometrics

Honorary Master
Tunnelbear gives you free 1.5 GB a month (500 MB standard plus 1 GB if you tweet about then once, there's a handy button in the app to do that) and is very easy to use. Works with all your software.

Opera now has a free build in VPN. Just go to settings and search for VPN and enable it. Been using the developer beta for months to watch Sky News. Now the regular release has it too. No cap! But only works in browser.

Spamhater

Tunnelbear gives you free 1.5 GB a month (500 MB standard plus 1 GB if you tweet about then once, there's a handy button in the app to do that) and is very easy to use. Works with all your software.

Opera now has a free build in VPN. Just go to settings and search for VPN and enable it. Been using the developer beta for months to watch Sky News. Now the regular release has it too. No cap! But only works in browser.

So Opera VPN is then a proxy and not a VPN

Zipkoppie

To break out in SA I use zenvpn.
For other places I use Private internet access (they dont have a server in SA, hence the reason I use 2 vpn providers)

Luke7777

Executive Member
To break out in SA I use zenvpn.
For other places I use Private internet access (they dont have a server in SA, hence the reason I use 2 vpn providers)
anyone used zenvpn from overseas to watch local content. I.e. SuperSport ?

snail

Expert Member
purevpn, reasonable price and they have several servers in SA. over 500 globally.

jouda

Expert Member
I see there are some good deals on Slashdot for VPN services.
https://deals.slashdot.org/deals/web-services#52-security

Some of the options are:
  • HideMyAss
  • Private Internet Access
  • VPNSecure
  • Ultimate SmartDNS & VPN
  • SlickVPN
  • Windscribe VPN
  • Forever VPN
  • Infinity VPN
  • RA4W VPN
  • Getflix
  • PureVPN
  • VPN Unlimited
  • etc

Are any of you guys using any of these? Googled a bit and PureVPN looked good.

snail

Expert Member
I see there are some good deals on Slashdot for VPN services.
https://deals.slashdot.org/deals/web-services#52-security

Some of the options are:
  • HideMyAss
  • Private Internet Access
  • VPNSecure
  • Ultimate SmartDNS & VPN
  • SlickVPN
  • Windscribe VPN
  • Forever VPN
  • Infinity VPN
  • RA4W VPN
  • Getflix
  • PureVPN
  • VPN Unlimited
  • etc

Are any of you guys using any of these? Googled a bit and PureVPN looked good.
Using Purevpn. I have tried a few Vpn services (Some mentioned on the above list), of which purevpn was the best. Never looked back.

Sisqo

Hi snail. Do you use PureVPN for streaming geo-blocked content? I did a trial run of NordVPN for streaming purposes and I wasn't convinced. The speeds were a bit too slow for my liking and so it wouldn't stream in HD.

How has your experience been with PureVPN if you use it for streaming say BBC iPlayer or Netflix content from the UK or US?

snail

Expert Member
Hi snail. Do you use PureVPN for streaming geo-blocked content? I did a trial run of NordVPN for streaming purposes and I wasn't convinced. The speeds were a bit too slow for my liking and so it wouldn't stream in HD.

How has your experience been with PureVPN if you use it for streaming say BBC iPlayer or Netflix content from the UK or US?
Hi,

I have never tried streaming on it as I use it to ensure privacy. They don't have logs. They do have a package called smartDNS which is used specially for streaming. I have this package as it came with the package I purchased but as I said I have never tried. I will try stream something from overseas using it when I get a chance however I only have a 2mbps line at home so I highly doubt they will be the limiting factor.

Pegasus2

I use NordVPN. It is easy to use and works very well. They have dedicated servers that enable access to BBC iPlayer. No problem with streaming. They are based in and operate under the jurisdiction of Panama. There is no mandatory data retention law in Panama so they do not need to store logs and don't store any logs.

nivaga

Results of some of my testing

So have been playing around and testing a few VPN providers out for speed and will post my findings here.

I understand that people live in different places and have different technologies and broadband providers so I will try and provide the information in a manner that shows the effect of the VPN provider in a standardized manner.

I live in the Cape Town Southern Suburbs and use a WISP (Telkom backhaul?) on a 10 Mbps package. According to speedtest, I get close to that usually for a local server.

VPN Services Tested:
  • Private Internet Access (PIA) - have used them for about 2 years. Not been able to reliably stream through them when on ADSL before but my connection also about 4Mbps faster on the WISP 10 Mbps package Connected to London server
  • NordVPN - signed up for a trial Connected to Advertised fast streaming UK Server
  • ExpressVPN - I tried them 2 years ago and they were way slower than PIA so cancelled the month-to-month but trying them out again. Connected to London server (tried Berkshire as their Android App over 4G gave that as lowest ping - but after 2 tests with a 70% degradation I moved back to London

My tests were carried out as follows using 2 different test tools:
  • Speedtest.net (flash) - test server was Vodafone UK (London)
  • Testmy.net (non-flash) - test server was GB server

Again, for comparison, I am interested in measuring the average speed degradation as I know that conditions can vary minute to minute making absolute once-off comparisons inaccurate.

Testing is performed on an Asus router running Merlin firmware and routing 2 clients differently - one through WAN (no VPN running) and one through VPN. Run in pairs for each test site Speedtest (no-VPN), immediately after completion Speedtest (VPN) and then Testmy in same order.

Summary of results from 80 rounds of testing performed over past 2 days (Thurs / Friday) in morning, afternoon and early evening.

Conclusion: NordVPN (connected to their 'fast streaming server) in the UK appears to offer the lowest hit to speed. Still surprised at ExpressVPN which seems to have a good (self-proclaimed?) reputation. Same poor performance as 2 years ago even though on different ISP? (Also had poor performance on them testing from Android over Vodacom 4G) Would still like to test Vyper and Buffered unless anybody has any other suggestions where they have achieved a low hit of using the VPN.

Test SiteSpeed to UKNo VPNPIANorVPNExpressVPN
Speedtest.netAverage Download (Mmps)7.57 Mbps5.08 Mbps4.36 Mbps3.38 Mbps
Average Degradation (%)-32.9%-42.4%-55.4%
Testmy.netAverage Download (Mmps)5.97 Mbps3.94 Mbps3.4 Mbps2.15 Mbps
Average Degradation (%)-34.0%-43.1%-64.0%
Averaged AcrossAverage Download (Mmps)6.77 Mbps4.51 Mbps3.88 Mbps2.76 Mbps
Average Degradation (%)-33.4%-42.7%-59.2%

akescpt

Honorary Master
Last edited: