What best VPN to use from South Africa

Tman*

Expert Member
Ask 10 people, and you will get 10 different answers.

Most of the reputable VPN's will give you a free trail. Use the trail to conduct a few tests depending on your needs. Then make an informed decision.

Kav33r

Trust.zone ftw. Been using them for the third year now. Speeds are great. Support is great. Privacy is great. And there are servers in South Africa. They are decently priced but the best time to purchase a subscription is usually during black Friday - as its around 50-70% off the normal price.

The Philosopher

Expert Member
I am also on the hunt for a VPN, I used Overplay VPN in the past.

I would like to setup the vpn on my router too. But if you do, is it easy to change servers, for different functions? would you have to log into your router to change that?

Looney

Expert Member
I just bought ExpressVPN and I must say I'm not happy with the speeds. I have a 100mb fibre line and expressvpn halves my speed. Luckily I only signed up for month to month so I can try something else.

Which VPN would be best?

waylander

Expert Member
I just bought ExpressVPN and I must say I'm not happy with the speeds. I have a 100mb fibre line and expressvpn halves my speed. Luckily I only signed up for month to month so I can try something else.

Which VPN would be best?
Unless you need to have one in another country, get a local VPS and setup your own. That way you know what to expect with speeds.

Looney

Expert Member
Unless you need to have one in another country, get a local VPS and setup your own. That way you know what to expect with speeds.
I wouldn't even know how to set one up. I suppose I could google it. What would the advantages be compared to getting one in another country (besides speed). Would it still protect privacy etc?

BobertSA

I use ExpressVPN, which seems quite quality. Tried to read all the review sites I could about VPN providers. Checked several links that are also mentioned here, but the best and the most interesting review I found was here: https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/expressvpn/

Might help someone who is new in the VPN space. ExpressVPN offers fast speed and the app is really easy to use.

The Philosopher

Expert Member
I use ExpressVPN, which seems quite quality. Tried to read all the review sites I could about VPN providers. Checked several links that are also mentioned here, but the best and the most interesting review I found was here: https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/expressvpn/

Might help someone who is new in the VPN space. ExpressVPN offers fast speed and the app is really easy to use.
What speed line do you have and what is speed you get through the VPN?

PurePower

Which is the best VPN service for streaming?

I'm using ExpressVPN but even on my 100/100 Fibre line, IPTV streaming buffers...

access

Honorary Master
maybe run tcp optimizer, or try connecting with a different protocol, its under options

use their live chat support. from my experience they were pretty helpful

Bernie

Expert Member
I'm quite happy with IPVanish. I dont game so not sure how that would be affected. Speeds seem fine for streaming general stuff. For non geo blocked stream, you can use the JHB servers, very fast in my opinion. For geo blocked stuff there are tons of servers world over, however Netflix I couldnt get to work - not an issue for me. They also have SOCKS5 proxy for torrents if thats your thing or for general browsing. Paid about $62 for 12 months if I recall.

The Philosopher

Expert Member
I have been using NORDVPN for 2 years now, pretty good. I stream fine when I need to get around geo locked stuff.

I was streaming Dexter on my phones internet from NETFLIX via usa vpn server. It buffered a bit at the start but then the rest of the episode was great

Bernie

Expert Member
Very happy with IPVanish, been using for over a year now. Good performance, nice app for mobile as well.