What book are you reading at the moment ?

Claymore

Executive Member
I just finished Zigzag: The incredible wartime exploits of double agent Eddie Chapman. Absolutely fascinating. Some interesting insights into how incompetent the German intelligence services were during WW2.

Eddie Chapman was a womaniser, blackmailer and safecracker. He was also a great hero - the most remarkable double agent of the Second World War. Chapman became the only British national ever to be awarded an Iron Cross for his work for the Reich. He was also the only German spy ever to be parachuted into Britain twice. But it was all an illusion: Eddie fooled the Germans in the same way he conned his victims in civilian life. He was working for the British all along.

dabean

Expert Member
Thief of Mind by Ben Thomas.

Only just started reading it, on the first chapter, but boy this is humorous without being juvenile-feeling. The main character (so far) is relatable to me as an adult who once was on fire but has since lost much of his shine. I am really enjoying reading it.
This has been a difficult read for me (at 93% now). It digs up so much stuff that I need to take breaks to process it.

I never had a him. I had lots of me.

The best analogy I can think of is talking in your sleep.

My way of dealing with things was to not integrate them. The me of that moment never became part of me (as a self defense mechanism) but I never realised the cut-off part of me was stuck in that frame of mind (in my subconscious).

Faced with the same input as me those parts of me would will themselves to the foreground quite often. I wouldn’t even notice since it was still “me”.

Actually none of them were me, or all of them lol. The entire set or nothing basically.

Facing the memories and feeling the pain allows the event to pass through the present and lets you grow as a person. All the tears you choose not to shed find their way out eventually lol.

Nice find.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
1556539914901.png

The Black Cloud by Fred Hoyle

Published in 1957 and you can tell. The story was too political for my taste. 2/5

Cius

Executive Member
The Black Cloud by Fred Hoyle

Published in 1957 and you can tell. The story was too political for my taste. 2/5
I quiet enjoyed it. Same with Osians ride. Read both when I was much younger though so perhaps I have forgotten the politics. I mainly remember enjoying the "science" from that time period's perspective. What they called cutting edge was so old hat by the time I read it. Was fun anyways.

Picked up "The Martian" last week at a book sale, what a great book. First book I have read that fast in ages. Helped that I had some time as I was on leave.

Tall-elf

Might be worth trying to save up for a kindle. Often the price of a kindle book on Amazon is cheaper than buying it second-hand here. Book swap might be a good idea too tho. Where in SA are you?
Worth trying your local hospice - I get some very cheap books at mine

Nopt!c

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. Been on my bookshelf for many years, finally getting into it.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Just kicked off Tiamat's Wrath: The Expanse book 8
Enjoying it so far, the story is setup nicely now I think its going to be great.

dabean

Expert Member

https://www.audible.com/pd/Maps-of-Meaning-Audiobook/B07B5BJ97R

I've listened to most of his stuff on Youtube and podcasts so I was a bit worried that this would be more of the same. It isn't.

This is like a 30+ hour lecture that's been painstakingly edited to be clear and concise. It can be a bit dense at times but for the most part the long form gives him more time to illustrate his points. I'm really enjoying it.

At full price ($33 I think) it would still be worth it to me, but as a single Audible credit it's a no-brainer if you enjoy his work.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
1559048535958.png
Was something lost in translation? Are the Japanese weird? I have no idea why I endured this. 2/5

C4Cat

Executive Member
So I just finished this book, it was really interesting and has convinced me to seek out an experienced guide to do some entheogens with :
1559294263025.png

I'm now busy with this book:
1559294400741.png
And so far I'm really enjoying it, among the best sci-fi I've read in a very long time, will see if it can keep it up!