What book are you reading at the moment ?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Just kicked off Tiamat's Wrath: The Expanse book 8
Enjoying it so far, the story is setup nicely now I think its going to be great.
Done with this now... I think I have enjoyed it the most. Not sure if they are ending the series but could be a good place to do so.

My next book is Mystborn Book 3, Hero of Ages.

Hasn't grabbed me just yet but may be that I'm not in the mood for it.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
So I just finished this book, it was really interesting and has convinced me to seek out an experienced guide to do some entheogens with :
View attachment 665791

I'm now busy with this book:
View attachment 665795
And so far I'm really enjoying it, among the best sci-fi I've read in a very long time, will see if it can keep it up!
Only heard great things about the latter (especially how it represents alien life and society), and also super keen to read the former. Listened to a couple of podcasts with him about it.

The Mystery Knight by George R. R. Martin
I really liked the Dunk and Egg stories. So fun.

bro-da

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. Been on my bookshelf for many years, finally getting into it.
Found it very enjoyable and thought provoking. I end up reading it over every year or so. Will be keen to hear what you think of it

The_MAC

Executive Member
Anyone read To kill a mocking bird in one of the books I have read they talk a lot about to kill a mocking bird and it sounds interesting
We did it in high school in English - it was indeed a very good book, some very interesting and hard debates to be had about it's topic

Come to think about it, I think I should read it again and see how my perspective has changed in the last 17 years since high school

Random717

Expert Member
When I finished that book I was like WTF did I just read..
Time for a re-read. Not even the wikipedia plot review is sparking any memories...

I'm currently slugging my way through The Pale King by David Foster Wallace, and discovering a bit more than I care for about the history & internal workings of the IRS (how accurate these are, I don't know).

Nopt!c

Found it very enjoyable and thought provoking. I end up reading it over every year or so. Will be keen to hear what you think of it
Yes, it is a book that needs to be constantly read from what I understand. I was at a stage in my life whereby I had truly lost myself and through current personal development and reading this book. I have since then found myself and also reaching a point of self-actualisation. As I turn the pages in the book, I begin to turn the pages in my life, as Matthew McConaughey once said, "YOU are the author of the book of your life. Turn the page"

R13...

Honorary Master
So I've decided to try Brandon Sanderson's The Reckoners which I've avoided so far because it is YA. But must say the bit I read in the sample was good and really funny. Think I'll give it a try and see if he follows the other YA authorship with sickening love stories. Or actually writes like the Brandon we have come to like

dabean

Expert Member

https://www.audible.com/pd/Everything-Is-F-cked-Audiobook/0062888447

Brilliant, secular, evidence-based look at nihilism and procrastination.

Here's something I didn't know I shared with Newton (overshare as always):

I remembered something while I was jumping rope the other day. The last day we ever braai'd at my house was a Saturday some year I was still a toddler.

I'd just discovered what happened when you stuck a pine needle in the fire. The glowing bit at the end was fascinating. I started using it to poke holes in dried leaves.

My dad had a BMW at the time. I couldn't tell you the model but I remember him telling my brother that it was an inline 6 when my brother asked if it was a V8.

The car was parked near the fire so it didn't take long for me to start experimenting on it. The tires first (disappointing) and anything else really until I got to the window trim. That was amazing. It retreated even before the glowing bit touched it. Magic!

The next part is probably exactly as you'd imagine. It was the hardest I've ever been hit in my life. Think being rolled by a wave but with dust/sky.

Up until that point my dad was only safety and love to me. When I finally figured out what happened I screamed "You hit me!" and ran at him swinging haymakers.

I never understood why he called me "Boxy". I was a nerd, was it like calling a big kid Tiny?

Every time I asked he'd just say "You'll see."

Claymore

Executive Member

https://www.audible.com/pd/Everything-Is-F-cked-Audiobook/0062888447

Brilliant, secular, evidence-based look at nihilism and procrastination.

Here's something I didn't know I shared with Newton (overshare as always):

I remembered something while I was jumping rope the other day. The last day we ever braai'd at my house was a Saturday some year I was still a toddler.

I'd just discovered what happened when you stuck a pine needle in the fire. The glowing bit at the end was fascinating. I started using it to poke holes in dried leaves.

My dad had a BMW at the time. I couldn't tell you the model but I remember him telling my brother that it was an inline 6 when my brother asked if it was a V8.

The car was parked near the fire so it didn't take long for me to start experimenting on it. The tires first (disappointing) and anything else really until I got to the window trim. That was amazing. It retreated even before the glowing bit touched it. Magic!

The next part is probably exactly as you'd imagine. It was the hardest I've ever been hit in my life. Think being rolled by a wave but with dust/sky.

Up until that point my dad was only safety and love to me. When I finally figured out what happened I screamed "You hit me!" and ran at him swinging haymakers.

I never understood why he called me "Boxy". I was a nerd, was it like calling a big kid Tiny?

Every time I asked he'd just say "You'll see."
Sounds like the time I was 4 and came into the house to proudly tell my dad I'd "fixed the car" (with a garden fork, all down the boot). My dad gritted his teeth and thanked me...

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
1561981448998.png
I loved most of this book and (obviously) disliked a few of the crappy/boring parts. Over too soon. 3/5

MrsWestcot

Ian McEwan - Saturday.
It will be my 8th book by Ian McEwan - he has fast become my favorite author.

MrsWestcot

Any book in particular you would recommend for someone who has never read any of his work?
Any of them are great. His magnus opus for me is Atonement. But he is the master of the short novel. He won the booker prize for Amsterdam. You can really start anywhere. Nutshell is a good start too.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Inspired after watching the TV series, I got the 'real deal'. Impeccable research, written like a thriller, it is a real page turner. Exposes the grand lies of the Soviet bureaucracy. 10/10.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Not so much reading as I have been listening to audiobooks of the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy series narrated by Adams himself. I'm on the last one, Mostly Harmless, and I'm not sure yet if I'm liking this one. And where the hell is Zaphod?

R13...

Honorary Master
Not so much reading as I have been listening to audiobooks of the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy series narrated by Adams himself. I'm on the last one, Mostly Harmless, and I'm not sure yet if I'm liking this one. And where the hell is Zaphod?
Aren't the audibooks abridged?