What book are you reading at the moment ?

Moonspirit

I just finished reading the second book in the Farseer Triology by Robin Hobb.

Can't wait to read the third one. Has anyone else read them??

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Inspired after watching the TV series, I got the 'real deal'. Impeccable research, written like a thriller, it is a real page turner. Exposes the grand lies of the Soviet bureaucracy. 10/10.

I finished this myself recently. Very, very good.

R13...

Honorary Master
Reading Arcanum Unbounded by Sanderson. The cosmere is a really amazing creation by Brandon and ever since I first read mistborn it never occurred to me that the whole thing is so interconnected. And I admit I don't remember seeing any of the world hoppers in any stories except the ones in stormlight and warbreaker.

R13...

Honorary Master
Inspired after watching the TV series, I got the 'real deal'. Impeccable research, written like a thriller, it is a real page turner. Exposes the grand lies of the Soviet bureaucracy. 10/10.

I have a history of a tragedy which I haven't started on. Wonder how it'll compare to this but this one is rated much higher I notice.

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
Am re-reading Fritjof Capra's The Tao of Physics
51bOhpDg8+L.jpg

The physics I get. It's always been the Taoist philosophy which I didn't quite grok.
Last night, I suddenly did get it.
Sitting up in bed with a cigarette in one hand, grinning from ear to ear; I got it. And I couldn't possibly explain it properly now.:D

LlamaParty

I just finished reading the second book in the Farseer Triology by Robin Hobb.

Can't wait to read the third one. Has anyone else read them??
Late reply, but I LOVE those books. I highly recommend reading the Liveships trilogy afterwards, before moving on with the Tawny Man trilogy, otherwise you miss out on some important backstory

Readsalot

Expert Member
Am re-reading Fritjof Capra's The Tao of Physics
View attachment 681741

The physics I get. It's always been the Taoist philosophy which I didn't quite grok.
Last night, I suddenly did get it.
Sitting up in bed with a cigarette in one hand, grinning from ear to ear; I got it. And I couldn't possibly explain it properly now.:D
Nice. I've been reading about taoism for years and still struggle to explain it to people.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory

https://www.audible.com/pd/Everything-Is-F-cked-Audiobook/0062888447

Brilliant, secular, evidence-based look at nihilism and procrastination.

Here's something I didn't know I shared with Newton (overshare as always):

I remembered something while I was jumping rope the other day. The last day we ever braai'd at my house was a Saturday some year I was still a toddler.

I'd just discovered what happened when you stuck a pine needle in the fire. The glowing bit at the end was fascinating. I started using it to poke holes in dried leaves.

My dad had a BMW at the time. I couldn't tell you the model but I remember him telling my brother that it was an inline 6 when my brother asked if it was a V8.

The car was parked near the fire so it didn't take long for me to start experimenting on it. The tires first (disappointing) and anything else really until I got to the window trim. That was amazing. It retreated even before the glowing bit touched it. Magic!

The next part is probably exactly as you'd imagine. It was the hardest I've ever been hit in my life. Think being rolled by a wave but with dust/sky.

Up until that point my dad was only safety and love to me. When I finally figured out what happened I screamed "You hit me!" and ran at him swinging haymakers.

I never understood why he called me "Boxy". I was a nerd, was it like calling a big kid Tiny?

Every time I asked he'd just say "You'll see."
Just finished this. I have mixed feelings about this....his views on personal development are certainly original and thought-provoking but I thought he could have linked his chapters better and provided a more cohesive overall message, which was somewhat absent.

prOd

Expert Member
51bdigAybEL._SX297_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

About to start book 3 of the WoT series on Audible. Must say Book 2 was kinda annoying at some times but the second half of the book got really good. Loved the ending in particular, excited to get this one going today!

Cius

Executive Member
View attachment 686889

About to start book 3 of the WoT series on Audible. Must say Book 2 was kinda annoying at some times but the second half of the book got really good. Loved the ending in particular, excited to get this one going today!
The first 5 or so books where amazing, then it bogged down until Sanderson took over.

C4Cat

Executive Member
The first 5 or so books where amazing, then it bogged down until Sanderson took over.
I disagree, The first few books were childish, predictable and clichéd - it only really got interesting, in my opinion, around book 6 iirc... Sanderson did a great job completing the series though

K3NS31

Expert Member
I disagree, The first few books were childish, predictable and clichéd - it only really got interesting, in my opinion, around book 6 iirc... Sanderson did a great job completing the series though
Nah, I agree with the previous poster - in fact I stopped reading around 5 or 6 as it started getting really laborious (that's also when I found out how old Jordan was - I feared he wouldn't live long enough to finish the series)

R13...

Honorary Master
Nah, I agree with the previous poster - in fact I stopped reading around 5 or 6 as it started getting really laborious (that's also when I found out how old Jordan was - I feared he wouldn't live long enough to finish the series)
Yeah the series starts out well, but it was kinda predictable initially, at least in how the story unfolds. Then Jordan gets self indulgent in the middle and it really becomes a slog (waffles without advancing the story one bit) until the book before Sanderson takes over.