What book are you reading at the moment ?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Interesting that most people find the Wheel of Time books a slog before Sanderson took it up... I just finished the Mistborn series and although I enjoyed it there was a big gap in the middle where I was bored stiff. I really struggled to get into the last book.
It really felt like someone had to rescue that book mid way.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Interesting that most people find the Wheel of Time books a slog before Sanderson took it up... I just finished the Mistborn series and although I enjoyed it there was a big gap in the middle where I was bored stiff. I really struggled to get into the last book.
It really felt like someone had to rescue that book mid way.
I blame editors. I think when the author gets too famous the editors get scared to tell "them this bit sucks, remove
it."
This was painfully apparent in Rothfuss' "The Wise Man's Fear" - after the fame of the first book, he got self-indulgent in the middle of the sequel and the editor was probably too scared to say "these parts are unnecessary and don't advance the story one iota. Delete". That book should've probably lost 150 pages.

R13...

Honorary Master
I blame editors. I think when the author gets too famous the editors get scared to tell "them this bit sucks, remove
it."
This was painfully apparent in Rothfuss' "The Wise Man's Fear" - after the fame of the first book, he got self-indulgent in the middle of the sequel and the editor was probably too scared to say "these parts are unnecessary and don't advance the story one iota. Delete". That book should've probably lost 150 pages.
Ditto GRRM. We could have done without almost all of the last two books. But he was more lost than self indulgent, as in when he ran out of ideas on how to tie everything together he decided to just add a bunch of story branches that serve f'all. Good writing but bad for the arc.

C4Cat

Executive Member
Nah, I agree with the previous poster - in fact I stopped reading around 5 or 6 as it started getting really laborious (that's also when I found out how old Jordan was - I feared he wouldn't live long enough to finish the series)
Yeah the series starts out well, but it was kinda predictable initially, at least in how the story unfolds. Then Jordan gets self indulgent in the middle and it really becomes a slog (waffles without advancing the story one bit) until the book before Sanderson takes over.
To me those middle books were what made the story an epic - a lot of world building, getting to know the cultures, etc. The books, overall, were pretty badly written, to be honest, lots of repetition, bad dialogue, cliché, etc. The only saving grace, for me, was the comprehensive world building

K3NS31

Expert Member
1563961502223.png

Enjoyed this. Especially as I have a young kid, a lot of food for thought as he grows older. And for myself as well.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Children of Time
Novel by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Just two chapters in and was pulled in straight away.

Crusader

Expert Member
If you guys are looking for a fantastic fantasy series that brings something new to the table I can highly recommend Adrian Tchaikovsky's SHADOWS OF THE APT series. Personally I think it's a better read than Wheel of Time with actual dynamic sword fighting (not just switching from this stance into the next one...).

I've got a spoiler free review of the SHADOWS OF THE APT series on my blog. I finished the series just a couple of days ago and all 10 of them were great. You can read just the first 4 and still feel satisfied with the story.

Moonspirit

Late reply, but I LOVE those books. I highly recommend reading the Liveships trilogy afterwards, before moving on with the Tawny Man trilogy, otherwise you miss out on some important backstory
Late reply as well, but I will definitely read those!

May try get the last Farseer Trilogy book at the library or otherwise I'll get it on Kindle most likely.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Finished:
Tiamat's Wrath: The Expanse book 8
John Scalzi - The Collapsing Empire
John Scalzi - The Consuming Fire

Now started
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking