What book are you reading at the moment ?

rambo919

Executive Member

Started this on the weekend (diff translation though), puts local (and general global lefty) events in a whole other perspective.

R13...

Honorary Master
Just finished Bryan Stevenson's Just Mercy.
Okay book but he gets rather preachy, had to force myself to finish. And when I think back I think back I think of the cases he writes about only one person got saved.

LlamaParty

Finished the first two books in the Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons. Definitely some of the best sci-fi I've read in a while.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
1582037194500.png
Two aliens arrive on earth, the one hunting the other. A powerful force field appears over a small town. Chaos enfolds. I would have enjoyed this more if I was still 16. 2/5

Hephaestus

Forging
Finally, got the time to finish this book.

Just wow.
This was such a great read, mixture between magic, murder, crime and mystery all rolled into one.
A must-read, but fair warning you will encounter multiple WTF's and someone eating out of a clogged toilet.

Claymore

Executive Member
I've just finished Joy Ellis's latest, Hidden on the Fens. Ellis writes British crime procedurals set in the Lincolnshire Fens, and I really enjoy them. She gives a view of British policing that is kind and caring, in amongst the crime and drama. I like the settings and the characters; it's always so nice to have protagonists one likes.

1582180654198.png

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I've just finished Joy Ellis's latest, Hidden on the Fens. Ellis writes British crime procedurals set in the Lincolnshire Fens, and I really enjoy them. She gives a view of British policing that is kind and caring, in amongst the crime and drama. I like the settings and the characters; it's always so nice to have protagonists one likes.

View attachment 787501
Looks good. I do enjoy the British crime procedural more than the US ones and there are a good few about. I'm just getting to the end of another great new series set in the Lake district and would highly recommend. book 2 is also out and scores even better reviews on Goodreads.

poe.jpg

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Read the Green Mile by Stephen King recently.

Great book! What I love about it is that he manages to capture so much humanity in our darkest moments. I mean, it is set in a prison ward in which condemned murderers and rapists go to die. And yet, somehow in that dark and terrible place is where humanity is found.

I also read the Shawshank Redemption, which is a short story and not a full novel. That is one of the rare examples of movies that are better than the books on which they are based. The short story is good, but man, the movie has so much more impact. The way that the villain gets his comeuppance, the creation of strong villains in the first place, its just brilliant. The movie that is.

Claymore

Executive Member
Looks good. I do enjoy the British crime procedural more than the US ones and there are a good few about. I'm just getting to the end of another great new series set in the Lake district and would highly recommend. book 2 is also out and scores even better reviews on Goodreads.

View attachment 787505

Thanks for that; bought it, and I'll give it a try.

If you want another decent series, try LJ Ross's DCI Ryan books, set in Northumberland. Quite a few books - LJ Ross is writing 3-4 books a year.

R13...

Honorary Master
Recently finished
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Awesome read, informative and funny.