What books changed your life?

Bresder

What made book made you realize what your purpose was?

What book made a difference in your conditions in life?

What book made you feel worthy of living today?

saor

Honorary Master
What made book made you realize what your purpose was?

What book made a difference in your conditions in life?

What book made you feel worthy of living today?
Some scifi is a fun way to prod the imagination and visit worlds rarely so painstakingly created in other media (series, movies, comics etc.). There's a depth of character and universe building and abundance of ideas in scifi books that makes them so fun to read. And sometimes that's more meaningful than any self-help or philosophy book; there's a great depth of knowledge and truth to be found in fiction. Also space battles and quantum diachronaut devices and starships & shieet!

kolaval

Expert Member
There are no one liner answers in any book that would be emotionally satisfactory.

Books:
12 rules for life: an antidote to chaos.

And since you mention the issues of life.
Chapter 2 of 7 habits of highly effective People(Stephen Covey) have a piece about a funeral. That was something to digest.

STS

Mafia Detective
1556696597263.png

Legit, growing up in a small conservative town and being fed the BS all my life, it was the first book that opposed all my views and made my go through an existential crisis at 18.

Outgrew all that ****, but was still enough to change my ignorant conservative values to more forgiving/tolerant ones

cerebus

Honorary Master
A Catcher in the Rye
Crime and Punishment
The Bible
Capital in the 21st Century

SAguy

Expert Member
There are no one liner answers in any book that would be emotionally satisfactory.

Books:
12 rules for life: an antidote to chaos.

And since you mention the issues of life.
Chapter 2 of 7 habits of highly effective People(Stephen Covey) have a piece about a funeral. That was something to digest.
You referring to that exercise where you imagine it's your funeral and what 3 people would say about you?

Arzy

Honorary Master
The Power of One
The Mastership Game
The Hogfather
The Player of Games

C4Cat

Executive Member
  • The Book of Lies by Aleister Crowley
  • Pretty much everything by Robert Anton Wilson but specifically Cosmic Trigger, The Final Secret of the Illuminati
  • This Perfect Day by Ira Levin
  • The reenchantment of the world by Morris Berman
  • Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant

Admittedly they are all a bit dated now but when I read them 20+ years ago, they changed my life completely. Finding them in the authoritarian state that SA was back then was like finding hidden treasure, treasure that changed my perspectives and outlook on life forever.

rambo919

Expert Member
Too many to count (tbh I'm too lazy to cont em)... most might just get me banned simply for listing them... or at least draw trolls like flies to poop.