What broadband service do you use?

What broadband service do you use as your primary connection at home?

• Fibre

Votes: 646 43.6%
  • ADSL

Votes: 357 24.1%
  • VDSL

Votes: 47 3.2%
  • Fixed LTE

Votes: 240 16.2%
  • WISP

Votes: 53 3.6%
  • Mobile Connection

Votes: 115 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 23 1.6%

• Total voters

Swa

Honorary Master
Yes. But unfortunately Telkom doesn't appear to be growing their base of a phone in every house so they can only roll out DSL connections to those houses that have.
Where did you get these figures?
Recent reports plus or minus. The amount of fibre connections should be just over 1 million, not just "homes passed" but actual connections available. Hard to put an exact figure from all networks as they use different metrics of reporting. Telkom had around 5-6 million lines almost all of them adsl capable. Could be less now with theft and decommissioning.

The point is there's a lot more people with adsl availability. Most however choose wireless. Fibre penetration would need to increase by at least 500% before it will be on par with adsl. Not something that will happen in the next few years.

PUP Backup

The point is there's a lot more people with adsl availability. Most however choose wireless. Fibre penetration would need to increase by at least 500% before it will be on par with adsl. Not something that will happen in the next few years.
Interesting that wireless networks are preferred. I doubt if it's a more solid network, Might be that the mobile phone networks are already being used for voice and they can bundle data with that service easily.
But I reckon that if Telkom managed to deploy 5 million phones the agile fibre network providers will be able to match that..

Swa

Honorary Master
Interesting that wireless networks are preferred. I doubt if it's a more solid network, Might be that the mobile phone networks are already being used for voice and they can bundle data with that service easily.
But I reckon that if Telkom managed to deploy 5 million phones the agile fibre network providers will be able to match that..
It's more a case of people's data needs not justifying the price of a fixed connection. It's an international trend but then mobile data is cheaper there as well.

netstrider

My last experience with ADSL was disappointing due to interpolation measures on Telkom's lines to increase stability (I presume) of an old line. That made gaming impossible due 60ms latency and a lot of jitter and latency spikes.

The above, coupled with better speeds on LTE for example has many of us choosing the latter. The larger packages have enough data for my use.

The fibre landscape will eventually reach and surpass copper line penetration, but you have to remember people had copper long before it was used for ADSL - so in many cases it was simply an upgrade of the exchange for Telkom and not entirely new infrastructure. As such, they had several decades to reach the point they had.

EDIT: I don't think the ADSL service itself had issues, since I qualified for 40Mbps VDLS, more likely the copper line itself from premises to exchange was shitty and Telkom just would never replace the darned thing.