What Cape Town plans to do about Airbnb housing crisis

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I disagree that political intervention is required to sort this out, however, as a renter in CPT, I do agree that AirBnB has definitely, significantly contributed to a shortage of affordable rentals.

I personally lost my flat earlier this year as the owner had decided that a gamble on AirBnB would net more than my very fair rental. For the record, I was an excellent tenant, backed up by the owner and all of my former landlords.

I have seen an above-inflation increase in the price of rentals too. I generally rent one-room, furnished units.
It's called capitalism.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

xrapidx

Honorary Master
That ruling is just 100% bollocks in my opinion.

I have contemplated getting involved in the property market but that ruling definitely makes me think twice about that given my experience with tenants.
Yeh - I plan on getting in the property market again purely for Airbnb - Blouberg is a good area to buy and furnish a cheap flat for the purpose. Lots of kite boarders looking for weekend accommodation.

Tom427

I personally lost my flat earlier this year as the owner had decided that a gamble on AirBnB would net more than my very fair rental. For the record, I was an excellent tenant, backed up by the owner and all of my former landlords.
Same happened to me in 2014. But that aside, 4 years down the line I would not be able to afford the 40% increase anyway...

It was similar in 2010 when every landlord thought the soccer fans come by the shipload and pay a premium.

Tom427

This is easily possible if catering to overseas clientele and at that price is a real bargain.
It is not always. Check european sites who offer lovely B&Bs (as well as AirBnB) for under €30 per night. CPT is VERY overpriced.
In Bloubberg a 4-Star BnB was R250 per night in 2004 (€25). Now closer to the mentioned R1.600 (€105!).