What counts as offsides in a Religious debate?

Prometheus

Banned
You allow yourself to be driven mate. The emotions that are stirred within you, when your insecurities about your irrational faith are confronted, cause you to get angry and lose control.
Who says I am insecure or threatened? You can't see from my post that I am angry when I am actually laughing at the logic of some people here. With that said if someone continually equates your believes to those of Hitler like LG did you would be offended as well and have every right to be. I don't call you immoral because you are atheist so nobody has the right to criticise me based on my religion. It is a fallacy which I WILL point out.

You have made another common mistake in your post by assuming my faith is irrational. I can't prove the existance of God and don't claim to either. You can't prove He doesn't. For either one of us to claim irrationality is in itself irrational. ;)

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
I can't believe anyone is still blaming the religions themselves for the atrocities committed by some of their supposed followers. Evil deeds are perpetrated by evil people and most major religions don't sanction these actions at all. No matter how much Hitler, Saddam and any other religious evil individual in world history you could care to mention, may have tried to justify their actions using (or should I say "abusing"?) religion, it is mostly simply against the fundamental teachings of their respective religions. Yes, some of these people genuinely believed what they were saying, but do you trust a psychotic's judgement? Maybe Hitler just missed the part about "Thou shalt not kill"?
One must maybe ask oneself, how "true" or "real" are these religions, if the message within , or the books associated with them , or the words within those books can be used, quoted, or interpreted to suit, or excuse, or incite people to commit atrocities in the name of, or because of their beliefs in those religions.
So maybe we can blame the religion itself, or the way it is presented, or represented.

Edwe

Expert Member
So maybe we can blame the religion itself, or the way it is presented, or represented.
Definitely the way it is presented by individuals or sects who use the religions to justify atrocities can and must be blamed, but the idea itself? I'm not at all convinced about that.

Mr TB

Banned
"Should I list everybody killed by the Taliban and Saddam?"

Yes please. The figures for both doesnt compare to the
current stats of civilian dead in the current 'war on terror'.

And again, dodo ducks the point, 'christianity' - already a delusion -
is used by the malevolent very easily to manipulate the masses.
"religion is the opiate of the masses"
Hitler and the Nazi's maintained their Christianity, right through to
the end - just like dodo would, if he was legally allowed to burn what
he saw as 'unbelievers' and 'heretics'. Saying 'oh but they were 'pretending'
to be christian, is bogus. They had god on their side, they believed that
they were doing the right thing.

Much like those countless dodo's who burned people alive, and tortured them
to death, because they didnt believe in the god fairy tale.
'Christianity' is inherently dangerous and evil, that way. It promotes murder
and intolerance, not 'forgiveness' or understanding, whenever the fairy tales
are used by any political group or Government.
If LG really believe that Hitler and his goverment were christians i can make an admission I found a fool greater than myself... I don't have to carry that
burden any longer...

bk.ru

If LG really believe that Hitler and his goverment were christians i can make an admission I found a fool greater than myself... I don't have to carry that
burden any longer...
Adolf Hitler was a Catholic and a Pagan from what I understand.

Prometheus

Banned
One must maybe ask oneself, how "true" or "real" are these religions, if the message within , or the books associated with them , or the words within those books can be used, quoted, or interpreted to suit, or excuse, or incite people to commit atrocities in the name of, or because of their beliefs in those religions.
This might have been the case in the past but today everyone can read what the originals say. If you don't know it's more a matter of ignorance.
Adolf Hitler was a Catholic and a Pagan from what I understand.
He was a fool who believed that the Jews were the offspring of Satan, the so-called demon seed lie which is still propagated by some. Now you know the truth. :rolleyes:

Nick333

Honorary Master
This might have been the case in the past but today everyone can read what the originals say. If you don't know it's more a matter of ignorance.
And yet there are still very many sects who interpret the same books differently.

Prometheus

Banned
And yet there are still very many sects who interpret the same books differently.
True but the ones who find themselves most off base are those where most of their followers are cut off (mostly deliberately) from the originals. The others are more a matter of because you believe everyone goes to heaven or because you believe there is an eternal hell you go to a church that supports that theory instead of the other way around.

icyrus

Executive Member
You have made another common mistake in your post by assuming my faith is irrational. I can't prove the existance of God and don't claim to either. You can't prove He doesn't. For either one of us to claim irrationality is in itself irrational. ;)
Is your faith rational? You say it can't be irrational because we can't prove if god exists one way or the other, but we can't prove if allah, zeus, odin, jupiter, unicorns, ghosts, leprechauns or fairies exist either - does that make it rational to believe one of them, or all of them?

Mr TB

Banned
What is the most irrational of all mistakes people make?

Denying the existence of the Living GOD....

Neo

Expert Member
What is the most irrational of all mistakes people make?

Denying the existence of the Living GOD....
I believe the most irrational thing is when people stop thinking for themselves....