What customers dislike most about their banks – Hellopeter

Doesn't look good, but then again, people normally go to HelloPeter to complain, not to praise...

Thor

Honorary Master
Call center staff would be my number one reason.

Problem with all call centre staff is that the churn is quite high... those types of staff only stay a couple of months before they leave... this causes training issues

rietrot

Honorary Master
Also call centre staff know how to fix a few basic things, they have to take a certain number of calls a day and they are measured on how busy they are not the eventual outcome of whether they managed to help the clients. And then even if they do really want to help they don't have the mandates, system access, or knowledge to do most things that's out of the norm.
This problem with our banks, and call centres in general.

Working in a call centre is literally the worst job someone can have. I would rather clean toilets.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Problem with all call centre staff is that the churn is quite high... those types of staff only stay a couple of months before they leave... this causes training issues
This is true, but it's cause they are generally paid peanuts for the stress of that job.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Also call centre staff know how to fix a few basic things, they have to take a certain number of calls a day and they are measured on how busy the are not the eventual outcome of whether they managed to help the clients. And then even if they do really want to help they don't have the mandates, system access, or knowledge to do most things that's out of the norm.
This problem with our banks, and call centres in general.
Sounds like you worked in one too!

Milano

Honorary Master
Most customers dislike their bank because they are good at charging fees and suck at almost everything else.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
What I hate about ALL banks is the lack of consultants and cashiers. They are permanently understaffed.

Standing in a queue at a desk with 6 terminals, and only 3 consultants. TSEK

rietrot

Honorary Master
What I hate about ALL banks is the lack of consultants and cashiers. They are permanently understaffed.

The banks actually still believe that they are overstaffed. The idea is that the use of Internet banking and cellphone banking other self service stuff would increase along with automation of most back office functions and we would deal less and less in cash so theres no need for cashiers and consultants.
Also they want to manage a consistent head count were everyone is busy in quite times, so months ends when things are busy is a huge f@ckup.
This is largely because the people actually in charge hasn't been in a bank branch in the last 20 years.

HBee

Expert Member
The article misses the point by a mile. If the new entrants to Capitec are anything to go by, then the biggest gripe would be cost.

Solarion

Honorary Master
FNB - new account by default includes a funeral policy. This was sand in my gears when I found out several days later. Easy to cancel though.

rietrot

Honorary Master
The article misses the point by a mile. If the new entrants to Capitec are anything to go by, then the biggest gripe would be cost.
I don't think so. People don't leave a good bank and go to Capitec simply because they have lower cost. Most people are extremely loyal and only move after they have experienced bad service or had a loan or something declined.
You are correct on customers opening a new bank account. They go to fnb for e-bucks or capitec for low cost.

HBee

Expert Member
I don't think so. People don't leave a good bank and go to Capitec simply because they have lower cost. Most people are extremely loyal and only move after they have experienced bad service or had a loan or something declined.
You are correct on customers opening a new bank account. They go to fnb for e-bucks or capitec for low cost.
True, but one could then argue that they should go to a bank with similar cost structures and value adds. I guess in the end people are just not willing to pay a premium for bad service anymore.

True, but one could then argue that they should go to a bank with similar cost structures and value adds. I guess in the end people are just not willing to pay a premium for bad service anymore.
Unfortunately there is not any bank that can match both the loyalty programme of FNB and the costs structure of Capitec

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Not with Capitec and their ticketing system.