What do you look for in a phone?

What are your top three things you look for when buying a phone?

• Battery life

Votes: 171 63.6%
  • Benchmark results / performance

Votes: 42 15.6%
  • Brand / Operating System

Votes: 94 34.9%
  • Camera

Votes: 66 24.5%
  • Dual SIM capability

Votes: 51 19.0%
  • Screen

Votes: 76 28.3%
  • Storage

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 24 8.9%
  • Price

Votes: 104 38.7%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Which features influence your choice of phone the most? Is the camera more important than battery life? Is the screen size more important than available storage?

Brian_G

Executive Member
I ended up with the average top 3, battery / brand / storage - make most sense for standard use?

sand_man

Honorary Master
I'd battle to put those in order of importance. There isn't a defining feature there for me but forced to pick one I would say screen and everything that, that encompasses. From size to pixel density to refresh rates to brightness levels...

Itsa Trap

Expert Member
Battery life.

I'm on iOS / macOS with almost everything but my gaming computer and a media box at home, so brand,
for Other I'd say durability / water resistance. Hoping this model I have will last me (with a battery replacement) some 5 years (which my older iPhone 6 plus actually did).

Oh and I bumper double protective case the **** out of my phones. They do not look like iPhones when I'm done with em.

Sepeng

Expert Member
Chose price, battery and storage. I need so little actual smart stuff from my smart device it's probably scary.
But to be honest, continuity is pretty important to me - so I want my music, pics, all that jazz to just carry on. So where I'm at is typically looking at iPhones a couple generations behind the latest iPhone

*Edit - so I guess Brand/ Operating system as well.

Last edited:

Cius

Executive Member
Value for Money. I have a monthly budget, and I will do a spreadsheet when it is upgrade time of all the phones in my budget for my usual package and see which phone gives better value for money. Hauwei used to be best option up until they lost android, LG then won out easily, now it looks like I may have to go back to the overpriced Samsung's. Typically for the same price I can get half the memory on a Samsung and a drop in the processor speed, camera quality, etc. Not looking forwards to the next upgrade now that LG and Hauwei are off the table.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Shouldn't "Benchmark results" rather just be "Performance"?

I want a phone that has a smooth, responsive interface and doesn't lag (like almost every Android phone does).

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
Battery must last from morning till night with above average use (no not playing the latest power hungry Android games, just browsing, snapping the odd picture and calls or WhatsApp)

Storage be as such that I can install the needed apps, ram not to have to see my scrolling and typing appear after the fact, dual sim as I run a cheap data and cheap call sim, vodacom R199 for 20 gig and cell c R99 for 240? minutes. If never get to finish it, but I'd rather not run out if I need it most.

eg2505

Honorary Master
other, a very unpopular item that is super rare nowadays,
a REMOVABLE BATTERY, oh and an active community of Modders that lets you keep an old Android phone going, with the latest version on android.
(S4 mini for instance)

also something easy simple to fix, and not all glued into place to prevent the average Joe with a screwdriver from dismantling things.
something like this honestly:

konfab

Honorary Master
My priorities are:
1) Software support
2) Battery life
3) price