What do you want recruiters to know?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
wheat from the chaff quite effectively.
What exactly does this mean? Because it can differ in many environments.
I find mathematical geniuses that are stuck doing garbage like making a front-end look pretty... which probably makes them chaff since I assume it doesn't interest them much, so they might not be passionate about what they do.
Well then again, they need to job hop without the necessary experience because they wasted it away at their current company.

Cube3

Expert Member
I had a recruitment agent approach me about an IT Security Engineer position, when I'm 100% infrastructure and I'm the perfect candidate for the job.... come on, this is like a shotgun approach and hoping to get lucky. This was via LinkedIn ofcourse. The money is a lot better so I'm mulling it over, but I was just surprised all the same.

Also companies don't mention salary, they generally will ask for your current payslips and give you something menial on top of that. BS.

cguy

Executive Member
I once had a recruiter contact me and tell me that I would be perfect for a finance position, despite being in pure tech and knowing nothing at all about finance.

Turns out he was right, and I made a fortune for both the company and myself...

They also asked for my annual income and gave me 2-3x that to start with.

Last edited:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I had a recruitment agent approach me about an IT Security Engineer position, when I'm 100% infrastructure
Don't limit yourself by thinking that the same can't be applied elsewhere., or that your problem solving ability is only stuck in infrastructure.

DMNknight

Expert Member

Also companies don't mention salary, they generally will ask for your current payslips and give you something menial on top of that. BS.
When asked for this, just answer them politely and say that you are currently not prepared to negotiate salary.
Similar to when asked for a salary "range".

You could price yourself out of a good salary, or price yourself out of a good job with good advancement opportunities. Doing either of the above is doing yourself a major disservice.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
So Nigel Frank phoned me again today... Some lady from SA is working for them now and I had a chat with her...
She still didn't send me any jobs specs, just wanted to get more information out of me.
I told her that I don't like her company because of people like Matthew Towers and that c*nt named Anya...
Told her that she better not do the same crap that the aforementioned did.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
So Nigel Frank phoned me again today... Some lady from SA is working for them now and I had a chat with her...
She still didn't send me any jobs specs, just wanted to get more information out of me.
I told her that I don't like her company because of people like Matthew Towers and that c*nt named Anya...
Told her that she better not do the same crap that the aforementioned did.
They phoned me again today.. The one who called me spoke with such a thick Scottish accent I couldn't understand a word... I found out it's Nigel Frank after I got a follow-up email. They now announce themselves as "NFI".

I just blocked their number now

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Update:
So now these recruiters have gotten clever: They're trawling Github to find candidates.
On my personal github account I used a burner email account because I kind of was paranoid about security. And surprise, surprise, this week they've started to spam that email address.

* ERIE Insurance
* Amazon
* Vector
* FullStack Labs

I don't actually think they read or had a look at any of the code in that repository of mine. Had they done so they would have seen I have absolutely zero "FullStack" experience- I don't even know what the f**k FullStack is.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Update:
So now these recruiters have gotten clever: They're trawling Github to find candidates.
On my personal github account I used a burner email account because I kind of was paranoid about security. And surprise, surprise, this week they've started to spam that email address.

* ERIE Insurance
* Amazon
* Vector
* FullStack Labs

I don't actually think they read or had a look at any of the code in that repository of mine. Had they done so they would have seen I have absolutely zero "FullStack" experience- I don't even know what the f**k FullStack is.
I've said it before, recruiters are like sales reps,
always on the lookout for good "product" even if they don't understand fully what "product" is.

so yes, if they see you github account, and see an email they will try their luck.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I've said it before, recruiters are like sales reps,
always on the lookout for good "product" even if they don't understand fully what "product" is.

so yes, if they see you github account, and see an email they will try their luck.
Thanks I'm not worried, I am just amazed to realise they're the same as 2nd hand car salesmen and those irritating f**ks that try and sell timeshare, on the beachfront.

eg2505

Honorary Master
even if you made a program that prints Hello world and loops in on the screen they would be interested.

Thanks I'm not worried, I am just amazed to realise they're the same as 2nd hand car salesmen and those irritating f**ks that try and sell timeshare, on the beachfront.
sales is sales, problem is one has to work with these annoying F*** in SA as thats the "accepted" way in the local market.
sad situation one has to admit.