What DStv and Telkom have in common

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
What DStv and Telkom have in common

MultiChoice and Telkom are both well-known companies in South Africa and have dominated the market in their respective arenas.

MultiChoice, through its DStv service, was the number one option when it came to entertainment. If you wanted movies, TV series, and sport, DStv was the place to go.

Eat my shorts

"was the number one option"

Was the only bloody option in both cases,
Milked the public for years the Monopoly,
They must go slowing into the night and let progress take place

Swa

Honorary Master
Surprisingly Telkom ends up the cheapest and best ISP while some others are now being labelled anti-competitive and expensive.

Sumen

Expert Member
Surprisingly Telkom ends up the cheapest and best ISP while some others are now being labelled anti-competitive and expensive.
Because they have the upper hand with that landline rental - for all we know they could be subsidizing the cost or not evening charging their customers for the landline rental.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Worst client service by far. OK when everything is working, when something breaks you are totally screwed.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Telkom could have still been a monopoly, if they had started with fiber 12-15 years ago, instead of waiting for the likes of Vumatel, to pull fiber past them, then trying to catch up.

Same for MonoChoice, they are crying about NetFlix, but Prime Video, is just as good and cheaper yet.

Bottom line is, you snooze, you loose ...

Eat my shorts

Telkom could have still been a monopoly, if they had started with fiber 12-15 years ago, instead of waiting for the likes of Vumatel, to pull fiber past them, then trying to catch up.

Same for MonoChoice, they are crying about NetFlix, but Prime Video, is just as good and cheaper yet.

Bottom line is, you snooze, you loose ...
Exactly!

Eat my shorts

You work for them don't you?
You sound like an Apple fan boy,
Just following the flock while there taking your money your giving it to them so freely.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
This is what happens when you rest on your laurels thinking that you are bulletproof, while riding the crest of the wave, but the bubble has to burst at some point, and when that happens, it's usually too late to rescue the situation. One of these days all the big monolith companies such as Amazon, Apple and Google will find themselves in similar positions. Nothing lasts forever.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
i stick to US and UK channels, they offer sky espn nba nfl nhl etc, its proper live tv, whatched the NZ vs SA game on sky action the other day, they offer 1 day trials for 1.99
I'm siging up for that trial then. I have a Roku and bored, might as well see how it streams :)

You owe me if this sucks :D

Swa

Honorary Master
You work for them don't you?
You sound like an Apple fan boy,
Just following the flock while there taking your money your giving it to them so freely.
A fan boy for telling the truth? Most who are on Telkom are happy with the service. You can also check the price independently. ISPs still have a lot to learn when it comes to providing internet access and I've always said Telkom has the best network. No I don't work for anybody which is why I can be objective. Like when I say that others like Vumatel will be even worse for this country with their anti-competitive practices even after all that free press but unfortunately some people are stuck with them.

Sounds more to me like you have an axe to grind.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
A fan boy for telling the truth? Most who are on Telkom are happy with the service. You can also check the price independently. ISPs still have a lot to learn when it comes to providing internet access and I've always said Telkom has the best network. No I don't work for anybody which is why I can be objective. Like when I say that others like Vumatel will be even worse for this country with their anti-competitive practices even after all that free press but unfortunately some people are stuck with them.

Sounds more to me like you have an axe to grind.
Just go check Telkom on HelloPeter, the mind boggles that this company still exists.

Swa

Honorary Master
Just go check Telkom on HelloPeter, the mind boggles that this company still exists.
There is such a thing as confirmation bias. When you have the most customers you are bound to receive the most complaints. Overall they have the best customer satisfaction ito their product.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
There is such a thing as confirmation bias. When you have the most customers you are bound to receive the most complaints. Overall they have the best customer satisfaction ito their product.
I doubt it. When looking at HelloPeter they are rated #46 in Telecommunications. Do we even have 46 Telcos?