• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

What DStv has been doing to prepare for competition from Netflix

Lupus

Honorary Master
Pricing, there is the issue, if that was sorted out. Though South Africans still keep thinking R900 is a lot of money, which honestly today it isn't really :-(. I mean a tank of petrol is that or more, a night out is almost that. The problem is the psychological image of R900 that is what gets a lot of people.

Pricing, there is the issue, if that was sorted out. Though South Africans still keep thinking R900 is a lot of money, which honestly today it isn't really :-(. I mean a tank of petrol is that or more, a night out is almost that. The problem is the psychological image of R900 that is what gets a lot of people.
You need to remember a lot of young people are still starting up their lives... R900 IS a lot of money to a lot of people. Also, your scale is super self-centralized, it seems? For my small car for instance, a tank of petrol is about R600... and a night out, well I don't know what you do when you go out, but my gf and I will generally not spend more than R400 on a nice date night

Lupus

Honorary Master
You need to remember a lot of young people are still starting up their lives... R900 IS a lot of money to a lot of people. Also, your scale is super self-centralized, it seems? For my small car for instance, a tank of petrol is about R600... and a night out, well I don't know what you do when you go out, but my gf and I will generally not spend more than R400 on a nice date night
I don't really think premium is aimed at the people starting their lives, and I went out on Saturday where the restaurant was having a special and it still cost R300 for my wife and myself, you have one or two drinks each and the bill climbs. Even ten years ago R400 wouldn't cover a movie and supper.

Fuzzbox

When you can compete with Netflix on streaming quality you might have a chance with a dishless offering.
Also with Netflix you can download onto your device and watch offline.
The other thing is people dont really want your local offerings and that is probably why they have DSTV in the first place.

Stevi

Expert Member
If DSTV can offer a sports only package, or something along the lines of you pay per channel you want, then they will have a chance.

They cannot still believe that charging so much for live sports and shows on repeat most of the time will work

GAD

Get your PREMIUM bouquet and split the bill among your friends. I think DSTV Now service support about 4 max simultaneous connections. So that's about R230 per friend.
Nope. Yes 4 registered devices but only 2 simultaneous streams.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
DSTV, you had 30 years to prepare. You are the weakest link, goodbye.
I think we have a millenial maths fail here.

Netflix was founded on August 29, 1997, in Scotts Valley, California, by Marc Randolph and Reed Hastings.

1997 - 2018 = 30 ????

and

2016 JOHANNESBURG - Netflix Inc.'s video-streaming service has officially gone live in 130 countries including South Africa on Wednesday night, covering almost the entire globe except China, in a huge global push by Chief Executive Officer Reed Hastings to counter slowing growth in the United States.

sa-rab

Monochoice is like a stubborn little child that does not want to listen. They had the monopoly for so many years and abused and bullied their clients and any opposition. Now people are voting with their feet, sorry Monochoice it is to late.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Monochoice is like a stubborn little child that does not want to listen. They had the monopoly for so many years and abused and bullied their clients and any opposition. Now people are voting with their feet, sorry Monochoice it is to late.
multichoice is like these meter taxi drivers, cant adapt to the changing reality, so they throw a tantrum hoping somebody will listen.
better system exists, adapt or die, with your R900 a month subscription.

moosag

Expert Member
Hahaha... whiners.... finally good to see this monopoly feeling the heat...

If you cant take the Heat Multichoice get out of the kitchen ....