What Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter's uses for backup power during load-shedding

Lupus

Honorary Master
“Whereas Eskom was only able to supply just under 28,000MW of capacity during the last half of 2020, this has now improved to just under 35,000MW on average since April 2021.”

Really? So the load shedding in June were why? Though I guess average maybe?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Sort of interesting that he only has a minor backup power system...

I do disagree on the large scale system part being not cost effective. It is if you have the capital upfront for it, even when compared to Eskoms residential tariff.

Solitude

Executive Member
“This is enough to last us for the two and a half hours of load-shedding,” he stated.

He is lucky. Here by us the power doesn't come back on after the two and a half hours of load-shedding. Well it comes on for a minute or two and then goes out again.

ozziej

Quoting from the article:

The CEO said that an inverter with batteries was a relatively affordable system for backup.

He advised against larger grid-tied solar systems used to reduce electricity consumption even when there is no load-shedding.

“Compared to Eskom’s domestic tariff, such installations don’t make much financial sense,” he stated.

WTF?
Don't make much financial sense? So, lets see, June I bought R1000 and got roughly 425 units, July, I got about 370 units. So, I'm now paying 15% more for electricity, next year, same story... (another increase) And ill be down to 320 units (more or less)

A medium sized solar install will save me at least 50% of what I'm paying, next year, even more.

It makes sense.

ozziej

“This is enough to last us for the two and a half hours of load-shedding,” he stated.

He is lucky. Here by us the power doesn't come back on after the two and a half hours of load-shedding. Well it comes on for a minute or two and then goes out again.
Yeah, we've had instances of over 20 hours of no power after load shedding because the sub station trips.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Sounds like your area has a dodgy substation or the users aren't listening and leaving everything big plugged in and an inrush is causing it to trip out.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yeah, we've had instances of over 20 hours of no power after load shedding because the sub station trips.
34 :-( was back in Feb of 2020, but to be fair lightning did strike at probably the precise moment the power was coming back, I saw it happen as I was eating supper.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

I do disagree on the large scale system part being not cost effective. It is if you have the capital upfront for it, even when compared to Eskoms residential tariff.
Agree 100%
For someone earning over a million bux a month I don't buy his story 1 bit at all.
Maybe he was referring to the Gardeners House that lives on the same property

AchmatK

Executive Member

Well he can't exactly encourage his customer support base to look somewhere else for their electricity needs.

Going grid tied without batteries just to supplement daytime electricity is much cheaper than buying from Eskom. Even adding expensive batteries comes in cheaper than residential electricity tariffs with no annual increases.

Reactions: LJR

eg2505

Honorary Master
even the Eskom CEO uses a backup power, goes to show you how much he trusts his own organization.
at least he is frank about it, and isnt trying to hide the causes and blame.

imagine Brian Molefe, wonder what he would say if he were put on the spot like this.
probably apartheid or jan are the causes of power failure

Thor

Honorary Master
He sounds like a typical CEO.

Large scale solar is way more affordable and cost effective than Eskom in the long run.

Eskom increases their cost astronomically each year.

isie

Honorary Master
Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter's backup power during load-shedding

A few backup lights and a small battery-inverter system that can last for the typical duration of load-shedding are the backup power solutions Eskom CEO Andre De Ruyter uses at home.

The CEO recently spoke to MyBroadband about his personal views and experience of load-shedding as a South African citizen.
damn there goes the theory that he doesn't get to experience load shedding

RedViking

Nord of the South
Does Mr. Ruyter's setup inspire you?

Look no further,

neoprema

Executive Member
Does Mr. Ruyter's setup inspire you?

Look no further,

I've got 3 of the 750Ws but contemplating switching my house to an installed inverter system. The price is just so eye-watering tho :(