What fibre speed is sufficient for video calls

|tera|

Master of Messengers
You don't have to start a new thread for each question.

tardomatic

Video conference calls / group video calling via Zoom , MS Teams , Google Meet.

I use Teams and Zoom, and I have a cheap Logitech 720p camera - upload speed required is around 2Mbps - Download speed required depends on how many participants are in the call, but Teams does a pretty good job of scaling the quality depending on available bandwidth - Im pretty sure Zoom / Google meet do similar. I would hazard a guess and say that 20Mbps should be fine for most WFH usecases.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Zoom:

Teams:

Google Meet:

ThatGuy_ZA

We rarely use more than 5mbps for two concurrent video calls (using Zoom/Meet/Teams).

powermzii

Expert Member
I've noticed when my wife is on zoom (on a mac) her machine bursts up to 15Mbps - might be a video quality thing. When I'm on Teams i rarely use more than 10

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Video conference calls / group video calling via Zoom , MS Teams , Google Meet.
10Mbps up/down will be fine so long as you are only using it for video calls. The moment you start adding simultaneous file downloads, email downloads or any other devices (e.g. TV with Netflix) into the mix then things will start to fall apart

OliveTree

Activity Usage required Our recommended speed
Email 1Mbps 1Mbps
Web browsing 3-5Mbps 5-10Mbps
Social media 3-5Mbps 10Mbps
Video calls 3-5Mbps 10-20Mbps
HD streaming 5-10Mbps 10-20Mbps
Online gaming 3–6Mbps 25-35Mbps
4K streaming 25Mbps 35Mbps
................................................................................................

Here’s how much internet speed we recommend for one person working from home:

At least 10 Mbps download speed per person
At least 1 Mbps upload speed per person

Video chat application Rec. upload speed Rec. download speed
Zoom (one-on-one calling) 1.8 Mbps 1.8 Mbps
Zoom (group calling) 3 Mbps 2.5 Mbps
Google Hangouts and Google Meet 3.2 Mbps 3.2 Mbps
...............................................................................................

How many Mbps you need per device for common internet activities:

Minimum Recommended
One-on-one video calls 1 Mbps 5 Mbps
Video conference calls 2 Mbps 10 Mbps
...............................................................................................

Bandwidth requirements
2.0 Mbps up and down for single screen
2.0 Mbps up 4.0 Mbps down for dual screen
2.0 Mbps up 6.0 Mbps down for triple screen
For screen sharing only: 150 to 300kbps
For audio VoIP: 60 to 80kbps

1.2 Mbps Peer-to-peer HD quality video calling with resolution of HD 720p at 30fps
1.5 Mbps Peer-to-peer HD quality video calling with resolution of HD 1080p at 30fps
500kbps/1Mbps Group Video calling
1Mbps/2Mbps HD Group video calling (540p videos on 1080p screen)

HD video quality bandwidth requirements:
Latency should be less than 50 ms when pinging Google's public DNS server at 8.8.8.8.
Outbound signals from a participant in all situations must meet a 3.2 mbps bandwidth requirement.
Inbound signals depend on the number of participants:
2.6 mbps with 2 participants
3.2 mbps with 5 participants
4.0 mbps with 10 participants

SD video quality bandwidth requirements:
Latency should be less than 100 ms when pinging Google's public DNS server at 8.8.8.8.
Outbound signals from a participant in all situations must meet a 1 mbps bandwidth requirement.
Inbound signals depend on the number of participants:
1 mbps with 2 participants
1.5 mbps with 5 participants
2 mbps with 10 participants

For 1:1 video calling: 1080p HD video requires 1.8 Mbps (up/down)
For group video calling: 1080p HD video requires 3.0 Mbps (up/down)

So, what are the requirements for crystal-clear audio and video-conferencing? Let’s take Skype.
Skype requirements for HD video calling are 1.5 Mbps download speed and 1.5 Mbps upload speed
while large group video calls require up to 8 Mbps download speed.
In summary: The minimum requirements for effective video calls is 8 Mbps download / 1.5 Mbps upload.

Typically, the maximum bandwidth of sending and receiving video are around the following:

For high definition video: Receive 2.5 Mbps and Send 3.0 Mbps
For high-quality video: Receive 1.0 Mbps and Send 1.5 Mbps
For standard quality video: Receive 0.5 Mbps and Send 0.5 Mbps

Group videos get more data intensive with more people on the line
with teams of five or more recommended to stream at 4Mbps / 0.5Mbps,
and with more than ten it's a whopping 8Mbps / 0.5 Mbps.

As more people shift to streaming for their TV and movie watching needs, bandwidth requirements become a bigger issue.
If you want to stream 4K content to get the best picture for your 4K smart TV, you'll need a connection of at least 25 Mbps.
Lower resolution content is less demanding, but even streaming 1080p HD video will require a 10 Mbps plan for smooth performance.

10 Mbps up 10 down should do it

https://www.whistleout.com/Internet/Guides/zoom-video-call-data-use?__cf_chl_captcha_tk__=679205352cc105d2fe16a59be98e237c790842bc-1617987702-0-AUo83nqjZZU-Q-mJQMvMOEAG39Tp1SZV7EAJdJIqtatg-2_OHCB4fVpdOPmNsFYCAhi-whwXyiwnIuQZmnzH5iZ0nhTjpS5F6BypFOJck5Pxj8XsSg5Zg6IPnTVVM4poQC1aB-I8pBhfHdDTT2Jzs4ocfy0GhPkAmwky80uoMG8fAWzs-RvVb8fmPbg4K_tCOivhBPrfn0tjNMZfi8scsVOYqTnvtr7CxD6C7ppjUGktmL-CSNnV7bsiq47NmABwrPDL2PtUapuSPQrH8Uosoury3ScH9josjQy5y7-gapwpfCsHwQ4QmTdRdaYKCVDZrfqQQwSj9PhHMdwwQwM-TES7gI2dtCSNdINL4t1N4cLif_Uc1XKwcpyomTBbDujRWxkA2afzbFJ0KXriD5GI52yubzUCTVThCNIjw94HegQkKnTrTkDSfa3759lA8LM4JtFm672ypmvXMd894aellvCQGAza3zDiTHijD1ykGlqQBJ0L4cPjidXWQcGNn5S_2B_ldgRbjCHk0LRfu3xZQYGpRshWyEQaDGcgBSYNZ8Bu2akZUaffQvjnL2GrHmPT2arTNxDx_WOyEYd31NK8JG6MlO9Ti0RfEoFIsTt92LFs8kmHo2VwaEw4Spxvv1A3pGe7dUaIWILjxPGoeCYUjJE

Minimum download speeds Minimum upload speeds
1:1 calling 600Kbps-1.8Mbps 600Kbps-1.8Mbps
Group calling 1.0Mbps-3.0 Mbps 800kbps-3.0 Mbps
Screenshare only 50-150kbps 50-150kbps
Audio only 60-80kbps 60-80kbps

netstrider

Expert Member
Just get 20/20, you will be fine. In the event you are not, an upgrade is a click or a phone call away to 50/50 or above.

OliveTree

Best internet speeds for streaming Netflix:
5 Mbps—Minimum speed for 1 SD stream
25 Mbps—Good speed for 1 SD stream + basic browsing
100 Mbps—Good speed for multiple SD/HD streams + basic browsing
300–500 Mbps—Good speeds for multiple HD/UHD/4K streams + basic browsing
1,000 Mbps (1 Gbps)—Excellent speed for multiple UHD/4K streams and uploading large files + basic browsing

Is 3 Mbps fast enough for Netflix?
No, 3 Mbps is not fast enough for Netflix (unless you want to endure endless buffering and other inconveniences).
You’ll want download speeds of at least 25 Mbps to stream Netflix

OliveTree

COMPANY , DOWNLOAD SPEED (MBPS) , UPLOAD SPEED (MBPS) , DATA CAP
Xfinity Internet »
15 Mbps - 2,000 Mbps , 1 Mbps - 1,000 Mbps , Starting at 1.2 TB
Verizon Internet »
200 Mbps - 940 Mbps , 200 Mbps - 880 Mbps , No Cap
AT&T Internet »
0.8 Mbps - 940 Mbps , 0.4 Mbps - 940 Mbps , Starting at 1 TB
Spectrum Internet »
100 Mbps - 940 Mbps , 10 Mbps - 35 Mbps , No Cap
Cox Internet »
10 Mbps - 1,000 Mbps , 1 Mbps - 1,000 Mbps , Starting at 1.25 TB

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I use Teams and Zoom, and I have a cheap Logitech 720p camera - upload speed required is around 2Mbps - Download speed required depends on how many participants are in the call, but Teams does a pretty good job of scaling the quality depending on available bandwidth - Im pretty sure Zoom / Google meet do similar. I would hazard a guess and say that 20Mbps should be fine for most WFH usecases.
This comment is a classic example of how the wrong terms are used to describe the requirements for a service, and why, in general, there is such a poor understanding of how things work.
"Speed", "bandwidth", are not the same thing and do not describe the concepts of "data rate" and "capacity" correctly, regardless of what 99% of people think they mean when they use the terms.

OliveTree

5MB upload should be sufficient. Our clients hardly go over 2 but yea.

I've checked Zoom's data usage when doing video call (2 to 3 users), usage sometimes less than 600 kb, other times between 300 kb and 2MB, few times over 3MB.
Zoom disconnects about 7% of the time (usage between 600 kb and 2MB), Zoom shows signal color switches from green to orange or red, if I move laptop to another area in home, then signal color green again.
Never have issues browsing internet and downloads are fast. When using speedtest, get between 6 mbps and 26 mbps, average between 10 mbps and 16 mbps.

OliveTree

Various speed test websites:

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/tools/speed-test ( LATENCY (ms) )

https://speedof.me/ ( LATENCY (ms) )

HartsockZA

I've checked Zoom's data usage when doing video call (2 to 3 users), usage sometimes less than 600 kb, other times between 300 kb and 2MB, few times over 3MB.
Zoom disconnects about 7% of the time (usage between 600 kb and 2MB), Zoom shows signal color switches from green to orange or red, if I move laptop to another area in home, then signal color green again.
Never have issues browsing internet and downloads are fast. When using speedtest, get between 6 mbps and 26 mbps, average between 10 mbps and 16 mbps.
Try running a cable from wifi router to your laptop. Should improve quality. But yea very very seldom see people use over 3-5MB upload unless they are moving things to cloud or seeding downloads