What FNB thinks about the new banks launching in South Africa

we have had something similar for a while back, pay with touching the NFC sensor to a payment terminal.
fnb launched it first, never used it, as I dont have a NFC sensor,
Yep but does not work everytime, pick and pay fails most of time. Fnb pay only works with nfc card machines, Samsung pay works nfc and swipe card machines.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Yep but does not work everytime, pick and pay fails most of time. Fnb pay only works with nfc card machines, Samsung pay works nfc and swipe card machines.
does it work with the swipe terminals? as not all POS terminals have NFC and tap to pay.
some older ones have neither, and then you need to take out the card and pay with that.

I take it you need a new phone? or it will work with any phone with a NFC chip?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
does it work with the swipe terminals? as not all POS terminals have NFC and tap to pay.
some older ones have neither, and then you need to take out the card and pay with that.

I take it you need a new phone? or it will work with any phone with a NFC chip?
According to the ad on TV you swipe in next to the magnetic swipe slot of the terminal and in mimics a normal swipe, have no idea how, but that's what they show.

eg2505

Honorary Master
According to the ad on TV you swipe in next to the magnetic swipe slot of the terminal and in mimics a normal swipe, have no idea how, but that's what they show.
thats my question exactly , it must use NFC to do this, how else? even samsung pay uses that.
problem comes when you encounter a non NFC POS device, as there are plenty of those old machines still.

how does that work?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
thats my question exactly , it must use NFC to do this, how else? even samsung pay uses that.
problem comes when you encounter a non NFC POS device, as there are plenty of those old machines still.

how does that work?
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043865/

Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) is a technology that emits a magnetic signal that mimics the magnetic strip on a traditional payment card. MST sends a magnetic signal from your device to the payment terminal's card reader (to emulate swiping a physical card without having to upgrade the terminal’s software or hardware). MST technology is accepted at nearly all payment terminals with a card reader.

Oxy142

how does that work?
They also use mst = magnetic field. That mimic card swipe without nfc. Samsung pay way more advanced than fnb pay.