• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

What Google knows about you for its targeted ads

InfidelGastro

Just use an add-on like Adblock on desktop if you use Chrome and something like Brave Browser on mobile. No ads to be seen anywhere, and no 3rd party cookies or trackers. Don't use Chrome for mobile, Google doesn't allow ad blocking on it. Do it and you'll be thanking me.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
“If you use this browser plugin, the same number of ads will appear on websites that you look at. The plugin turns off ads personalisation. Turning off personalisation makes ads less relevant to you,” it said.
Great, cause if have to see "relevant ads" for cellphones for weeks after I have already bought one, that would be awesome.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Just don't use Google. They're an advertising company and make >90% of their money off advertising. You're the product they sell to advertisers. Anyone with two braincells knows Google aren't in the least interested in reducing advertising. They want more of it. And they'll do everything they can to make sure more adverts get through to your eyes.

Most people don't seem to mind the Google deal: They give you free stuff and goodies on the net, and you give them your profile and eyes.

I'm not one of them.

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Just don't use Google. They're an advertising company and make >90% of their money off advertising. You're the product they sell to advertisers. Anyone with two braincells knows Google aren't in the least interested in reducing advertising. They want more of it. And they'll do everything they can to make sure more adverts get through to your eyes.

Most people don't seem to mind the Google deal: They give you free stuff and goodies on the net, and you give them your profile and eyes.

I'm not one of them.
And use what else exactly? Bing or Duck? Google search is by miles the best from my experience. And Google Assistant in Android is amazing. Google Earth is epic. Youtube is Youtube. No gallery app holds a candle to Google Photos, which excels in UI, touch ups and free unlimited cloud storage.

Hard to just abandon them.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Great, cause if have to see "relevant ads" for cellphones for weeks after I have already bought one, that would be awesome.
Google doesn't know your search for '210 liter freezer' led you to buying one a month ago, and is still showing you your options..

Dan C

Honorary Master
And use what else exactly? Bing or Duck? Google search is by miles the best from my experience. And Google Assistant in Android is amazing. Google Earth is epic. Youtube is Youtube. No gallery app holds a candle to Google Photos, which excels in UI, touch ups and free unlimited cloud storage.

Hard to just abandon them.
Ah I miss Aardvark :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardvark_(search_engine)

3WA

Expert Member
I looked at ladies swimwear on bid or buy once and then my targeted ads started showing models in swimwear and lingerie. Now I do the odd browse to keep that in my recent search history and I've never been happier with my targeted ads.