What groceries cost in the 80s

Lupus

Honorary Master
I'd like to know where they are getting cheese for R59.99 a kilo. Also burger buns can vary from R1.70 a bun to R2.40 I've seen

garp

Executive Member
I remember grocery shopping with my mom in the early 80's and her complaining about inflation because a full shopping trolley at Pick 'n Pay added up to a whopping R16 !!

It's all relative, though - at the time a good salary was a few hundred rand a month.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I remember grocery shopping with my mom in the early 80's and her complaining about inflation because a full shopping trolley at Pick 'n Pay added up to a whopping R16 !!

It's all relative, though - at the time a good salary was a few hundred rand a month.
Yeah but that few hundred could get you a lot more, even when I started working and it was only R5000 a month I could do quite a lot more with it then I can with what I get now.

garp

Executive Member
It also depends on whether it was early or late 80's - inflation skyrocketed from about 1987 when it hit close to 20%, if I recall.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I still remember the good times where a full meal cost R20.

and were constantly told that inflation is under control.

MirageF1

Expert Member

I once saw my mother's first payslip at her new job in the late 70s/early 80s...was R176 IIRC! To be fair she was a med receptionist at gov military hospital so was very meagre even for those times...

I still remember when i got my first salary in 1990 as a new IBM IT systems engineer...R3180... and thinking I had struck gold..literally! I had really... :cool:

MirageF1

Expert Member
It also depends on whether it was early or late 80's - inflation skyrocketed from about 1987 when it hit close to 20%, if I recall.
...and getting even a menial job a young matriculant was almost as hard as it is now!

who.dat

Expert Member
You can tell back then the cents were worth something. Now everything is Rx.95. The "power" of inflation. :sleep:

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I'd like to know where they are getting cheese for R59.99 a kilo. Also burger buns can vary from R1.70 a bun to R2.40 I've seen
Yeah this. Buns are R2 a piece whenever we look, maybe a cent or two cheaper, and cheese is R90 per kg and more. Black Friday saw me buying a few kilos at R48,99 per kg from PnP but that was hella cheap.

Also - a dozen eggs for R60? They're nuts. Under R2 a large egg is a general price range these days. Also, Pepsi is cheaper than they say.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yeah this. Buns are R2 a piece whenever we look, maybe a cent or two cheaper, and cheese is R90 per kg and more. Black Friday saw me buying a few kilos at R48,99 per kg from PnP but that was hella cheap.

Also - a dozen eggs for R60? They're nuts. Under R2 a large egg is a general price range these days. Also, Pepsi is cheaper than they say.
Depends on where you shop for eggs, I've seen them at that price and sometimes over, PnP and some Checkers. Strangely enough Spar comes in cheaper for eggs. Yup I've still got about a kilo left after that PnP special :) wife told me last night we are down to a kilo.
Pepsi can also hit R18 for a 2 litre, but it averages around R15 and the Max and Light version sit at R12 to R14. It's Coke that's bloody ridiculous, seen 2l hitting R22 in the shops and the light versions hitting R18? What are ABI thinking?

yebocan

Executive Member
....first day at school...1986...with a 5'bob in my pocket....was able to buy Nikknaks, Kreols, that pink milkshake in a sachet , sweets and still got change.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Depends on where you shop for eggs, I've seen them at that price and sometimes over, PnP and some Checkers. Strangely enough Spar comes in cheaper for eggs. Yup I've still got about a kilo left after that PnP special :) wife told me last night we are down to a kilo.
Pepsi can also hit R18 for a 2 litre, but it averages around R15 and the Max and Light version sit at R12 to R14. It's Coke that's bloody ridiculous, seen 2l hitting R22 in the shops and the light versions hitting R18? What are ABI thinking?
Profiting on the market that's supported them for years, I guess. But yeah, the prices made me switch to Pepsi, actually. I often buy those R12-a-bottle specials from Makro, then stock up the pantry.

On eggs - I don't pay over R2 an egg, I'm sorry. R60 for a 30-tray is my max price, unless I'm looking for super sized eggs for whatever reason (like making creme brulee). I guess it does depend on where it comes from though, and where you shop.

Lupus

Honorary Master
....first day at school...1986...with a 5'bob in my pocket....was able to buy Nikknaks, Kreols, that pink milkshake in a sachet , sweets and still got change.
Wouldn't that be 1956? Cause we wouldn't have used the slang bob in the 80s when the rand had been in full force since the early 60s :). I remember getting a R2 coin for tuck in the late 80s and you could still get a lot. Hell even in the late 90s when I finished school R5 would get you a coke and a pie.