what happens if i play 4k youtube on my 4k monitor but windows display settings are 1080p?

droplet

Expert Member
i have my 4k TV hooked up to a laptop. under display settings i can configure the display resolution to 2160p. so far so good. but i find the laptop to be a little snappier if it is set to 1080p, so i keep it at 1080p.

if i watch a 4k youtube video with the youtube resolution set to 4k, will it override the windows display resolution and display the youtube video in 4k, or will it be displayed in 1080p like it is set in the windows display resolution?

thanks in advance - searched endlessly for an answer online, but couldn't find one.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
The PC will output at 1080 and the TV will display it on the 4k pannel but upscale (is that the right word?) the picture.

If your resolution is set to 1080 in windows, the youtube player will downscale the 4k input to match regardless of what you choose.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
It will only go as fast as your slowest link in the equation
So if something says 1080P then 1080P is what you're gonna be getting off the YouTube site

droplet

Expert Member
The PC will output at 1080 and the TV will display it on the 4k pannel but upscale (is that the right word?) the picture.

If your resolution is set to 1080 in windows, the youtube player will downscale the 4k input to match regardless of what you choose.
thanks. is there a way to duplicate the displays such as the laptop screen is 1080p but the tv is 4k? i only seem to be able to set the tv to 4k if i select show only on 2, but i am scared that if something goes wrong with the connection to the tv i might need to use the laptop screen. extending the displays is not going to work well for me.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
thanks. is there a way to duplicate the displays such as the laptop screen is 1080p but the tv is 4k? i only seem to be able to set the tv to 4k if i select show only on 2, but i am scared that if something goes wrong with the connection to the tv i might need to use the laptop screen. extending the displays is not going to work well for me.
You can't upscale a duplicate from source no

xrapidx

Honorary Master
divide-by-zero1.jpg

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Extend your display, drag the window to the side to the TV display.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Per the original question the youtube output is 1080p even if you set it to 4k, it can't exceed the actual OS resolution the screen has been set to.

To have mixed display resolutions, you need to use the extended display option. The display settings will then show the resolution which you can change for each display when you click on its properties.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
On a TV it will natively upscale it to 4K.

On a monitor it will be 1080p end to end.