What happens IF we run out of ICU capacity?

stumper

In case this has been asked already my apologies - ain't nobody got time to read through all the threads here!

This is a question for the people who intend on not being vaccinated. They strike me as people that pride themselves on being prepared so what is the plan if ICU beds dry up and their spouse/parent/child needs an ICU-bed for a non-COVID related emergency?

I realize the temptation will be to dismiss this scenario as wildly unlikely although I'm sure that some people must have planned for this contingency regardless of the probabilities. I'd be keen to hear what could be done.

Kawak

People die, of whatever causes that could be saved. There is no preparing for running out of ICU, it makes zero sense to have extra ICU beds available for this scenario. There is also no way around needing an ICU when it's called for, no alternatives for any of the required apparatus.

Daveogg

Expert Member
Hi Stumper I have a little insight in this let me explain where we are. ( And I only have personnel experience in the private sector )
It's not IF every time we go through a Covid "wave" we run out of ICU beds. By that I mean we have more patients requiring ICU than the ICU can treat, and so a triage system is implemented. The triage score rates a patient by disease severity, co-morbidities, premorbid function, age etc. This happens for Covid AND non Covid patients as the ICU has a fixed capacity.(yes stop gap solutions have been used to increase capacity like using an operating theatre as a ICU space, but you quickly run into capacity issues with STAFFING, machines can be bought, trained staff not so much.)
So could a non vaccinated Covid in ICU affect you, your relative or friend from getting an ICU bed, short answer yes.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
We do the same thing to the unvaccinated that we did to the other murderous drunk driver lot - we ban them.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
No everyone has a right to life even the idiots so we all go into the same triage "pot".

Nobody is denying them the right to live, just medical treatment. OK fine, since I'm in a good mood I'll meet you halfway - since the government hasn't made vaccinations mandatory the unvaccinated should be allowed to go to public hospitals for COVID related symptoms.

But hands of the private hospitals and medical aid (they are raising our premiums by claiming too much money from Discovery).

Mirai

Expert Member
In the State we say the hospital is full and divert the ambulances elsewhere.

Daveogg

Expert Member
No everyone has a right to life even the idiots so we all go into the same triage "pot".
Sorry to clarify the constitution states everyone has a right to life, so until the constitution is changed (lol), we all go into the same triage "pot".

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
In case this has been asked already my apologies - ain't nobody got time to read through all the threads here!

This is a question for the people who intend on not being vaccinated. They strike me as people that pride themselves on being prepared so what is the plan if ICU beds dry up and their spouse/parent/child needs an ICU-bed for a non-COVID related emergency?

I realize the temptation will be to dismiss this scenario as wildly unlikely although I'm sure that some people must have planned for this contingency regardless of the probabilities. I'd be keen to hear what could be done.

It's already happening.

Patients get triaged based on their age. If you are too old, then you don't get a bed and your family is notified. This is information direct from medical staff working in ICU, doctors and families of loved ones who have passed away in hospital.

This is all currently happening at my two local private hospitals and state hospital. It happened with the December wave as well.

krycor

Honorary Master
It's already happening.

Patients get triaged based on their age. If you are too old, then you don't get a bed and your family is notified. This is information direct from medical staff working in ICU, doctors and families of loved ones who have passed away in hospital.

This is all currently happening at my two local private hospitals and state hospital. It happened with the December wave as well.

Came to say this.

Many factors come into play from the condition of the patient to age and offspring / dependents..

So you can be an 18yr old drunk driver which needs major intervention and may be paraplegic vs a 35yr old bread winner with critical but maybe stable?

Then all kinds of debates start happening from chance of recovery, costs, quality of life and dependents. While I’ve ne we been involved nor know who has, what I’ve heard particularly in Cpt, drunk or reckless is not gonna be in your favor especially when the other patient has a decent chance and has dependents. Here the next of kind get told the situation with no beds.. or other side of the coin about chances of surviving and decisions and timelines (after which hospital admin makes the call).

Just saying.. also older people in public hospital basically there comes a time when they go.. well we’ve supported the person for x time at y cost, if they still too weak to be able to continue some body functions after we turn off a machine then it was their time.. this is still presented to next of kin.

In private similar happens but where number beds aren’t the issue but rather how much your medical aid is willing to cover and then whomever is responsible for the decision and cost.

nazmo

Expert Member
already happening. friends wife was on the brink of being turned away in favour of older people, then xray revealed covid pneumonia, so made a slot.

Another 2 friends got the Vid. both had the first jabs. one had symptoms of a cold. other one was a bit feverish today. Same story with a family member thats a doctor and her husband. mild to no symptoms.

JohnStarr

Executive Member

They will triage. Had family that was incredibly sick and would have gone straight to either High Care or ICU. This was a few weeks ago. Instead they were left in Emergency, or a tent outside the Emergency entrance, and told they were already full.
It would take someone dying or recovering that day to get them in.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
already happening. friends wife was on the brink of being turned away in favour of older people, then xray revealed covid pneumonia, so made a slot.

Another 2 friends got the Vid. both had the first jabs. one had symptoms of a cold. other one was a bit feverish today. Same story with a family member thats a doctor and her husband. mild to no symptoms.
If your wife is young it should be the other way round really. That's proper triage!

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
everybody-panic.gif

Chicken-Little.jpg

noxibox

Honorary Master
They wouldn't need to plan for anything. Between those vaccinated and those with immunity from previous infection the number of people at high risk is dramatically reduced.

Nobody is denying them the right to live, just medical treatment. OK fine, since I'm in a good mood I'll meet you halfway - since the government hasn't made vaccinations mandatory the unvaccinated should be allowed to go to public hospitals for COVID related symptoms.

But hands of the private hospitals and medical aid (they are raising our premiums by claiming too much money from Discovery).
There isn't anything medical aids can legally do. They have to pay. And why would private hospitals want to turn away business? In fact from a purely business point of view better to take the COVID-19 patient that might bring in income for months rather than take someone who'll only need ICU for a few days then leave the bed empty.

I posted the tweet earlier.

View attachment 1123240
Hospitals are full of pharmaceutical executives and corrupt politicians? Where are all the doctors and nurses, in parliament?