What happens to electric car owners when load-shedding hits

Colin62

Executive Member
Just read that article linked in the OP. BMW has 38 charging stations. Compared to 4600 petrol stations, and even then sometimes you can’t find one. It’s got a long, long way to go.

thechamp

Honorary Master
The majority of direct eskom customers are load shed for 4.5 hrs at a time and up to twice a day when on stage 4.
Still enough hours in a day between work and home to put some amps into the car.

quovadis

Expert Member
Still enough hours in a day between work and home to put some amps into the car.
Agreed - just added frustration. Electric is undoubtedly the future of cars not only from a performance but also cost perspective. Luckily we don't have that many or our eskom problems would be even worse.

Thor

Honorary Master
Good heavens how much does that BMW i3 ugly thing cost?

Why don't we have Tesla's here, I mean they are half the price and unmatched with anything on the road today.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Most people would probably do a week of travel on a single charge or as near as.

So trickle charging over night even with load shedding (assuming they used the grid) would make no difference at all to their lives.

On the contrary petrol people who need to visit petrol stations that had power issues or even just a price change would actually lose time in their lives.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Why don't we have Tesla's here, I mean they are half the price and unmatched with anything on the road today.
Because of stupid import taxes on electric cars and zero incentives form government.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Just read that article linked in the OP. BMW has 38 charging stations. Compared to 4600 petrol stations, and even then sometimes you can’t find one. It’s got a long, long way to go.
But you can charge your car at home or at the office so you don’t need that many stations.

On the contrary you can’t fill up your car at home or the office while it stands and does nothing all day.

So the two really can’t be compared like that.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Most people would probably do a week of travel on a single charge or as near as.
So, as an example, an i3 does 130-160 km or up to 200 in super slow mode.

Who are these "most people" of which you speak? Most people I know are doing well over that distance per week, and people like me would do 4-5 times that in a standard work week.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

i3 starts at R637 000.00 - which makes this entire article and debate entirely pointless if you ask me.

Elon promised an SA store this year. Then said Tesla was closing all it's stores and going online only. Then backtracked on that statement, so anyone's guess.

Jola

Honorary Master
The majority of direct eskom customers are load shed for 4.5 hrs at a time and up to twice a day when on stage 4.
Yes, that is what we have in Joburg.

Noticed this evening that my fridges are defrosting, stepped into a puddle of water.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So, as an example, an i3 does 130-160 km or up to 200 in super slow mode.

Who are these "most people" of which you speak? Most people I know are doing well over that distance per week, and people like me would do 4-5 times that in a standard work week.
A low range i3 is honestly not even worth a mention in electric car circles.

At the same time the low range model because it requires so little charge will be even less affected by load shedding.

Besides most of the i3’s are even configured as pure electric and have the range extender petrol engine included so it’s hardly a concern for them. Apart from being idiots for buying it in the first place of course.

I was referring to the 400-450 km range cars, which is similar on range to your average small car.

Then it’s not unreasonable for people with a 50-60km round trip daily with a little extra on the weekend.

Only crazy people so more than that daily and are certainly a minority.

Many others do far less and would go much further on electric actually making it perfect for them.

But even if you do that crazy mileage load shedding is really not going to affect you outside of plugging it in every night now instead of less frequently as you normally might have.

Last edited:

Hoffie Hoffmann

All the hype about how good electric cars are comes from the manufacturers and some journos. The public response is reflected in the poor sales of these vehicles. The main reason I believe is because just about all of the manufacturers go for super performance with limited range rather than normal with extended range.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
All the hype about how good electric cars are comes from the manufacturers and some journos. The public response is reflected in the poor sales of these vehicles. The main reason I believe is because just about all of the manufacturers go for super performance with limited range rather than normal with extended range.
Look, I know a bang on the i3 a lot, it is however the only electric car I ever see in real life. (there was the one guy I knew who who had a leaf as a test vehicle, but that doesn't count - it was actually eskom testing charging and range options...)

The i3 is a normal car with kak range and look at the price tag. What a proverbial shower of ****... And if you want the little 2 cylinder range extender engine it adds nearly R100k to the already ludicrous price.

Colin62

Executive Member
But you can charge your car at home or at the office so you don’t need that many stations.

On the contrary you can’t fill up your car at home or the office while it stands and does nothing all day.

So the two really can’t be compared like that.
I know I didn’t actually say it but I was talking about during load shedding when you desperately need a charger.

The fact that you can charge at work (and quite possibly for free until they catch on) is actually a huge benefit of going electric for me. Especially as my rent includes electricity and water so I’d not be paying a cent for fuel at home either. But even so, I can’t make it work for me without having a second vehicle around for those trips where there are no charging stations.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Not everyone who wants an electric vehicle wants some BMW pile of crap. I'm sure that other manufacturers of EV's offer the same services. They all have to ape each as far as wooing customers are concerned, otherwise they'll lose out big time. Anyway this country is not an advance and progress type of country, it's still has the donkey cart and loin cloth is good enough mentality.