What happens to Telkom’s old copper cables after it kills ADSL

Thor

Honorary Master
My parents have a 10Mbps uncapped ADSL account.

They average 300GB a month.

The line plus data costs them R820 p/m.

Telkom wants to cancel ADSL.

Tell me where the fck are they going to get LTE for that price with that usage.

This is beyond absurd.

Dukenuke15

We just received a package via courier with a modem. No information was provided with it. Adsl was cut without warning on any channels that is commonly used. Our email was cut off as well as our telephone line and Telkom service are not available after 8pm and nobody will come out to my house to help us with any of it.
We have taken the modem to Telkom agents in town and all they are doing is using their cellular phone to connect to the modem to set up a test.
They are not providing fiber to our area and only giving us lte and it is very annoying.
Regards

ld13

Honorary Master
They are pulling up the copper and will resell it. Ok, makes sense. But to what extent? Everything from the DSLAM to the house would be time consuming etc, would it not?

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
As Openserve decommissions its old copper cable network, it is pulling up the copper and reselling it, the company has told MyBroadband.
As expected.

I can foresee many fibre outages with all this digging. :cautious:
Actually a lot of it will be Telkom just disconnecting the copper for now. Later on they'll be using that to pull through new fibre, without needing to relay cables or pay for wayleaves.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That is a BS story. The team that cut me over to fibre did nothing about decomissioning the copper. That line is still active and working.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Guess the cable thieves will declare open season on the remaining copper cables now. Who can get to that copper in your area first, Telkom or the cable thieves?

Tander

Executive Member
That is a BS story. The team that cut me over to fibre did nothing about decomissioning the copper. That line is still active and working.
And then?

As mentioned, I think the cable thieves will get to the copper first. But I do wonder what they will do going forward, as stolen Fibre has little to no resale value (I assume the removal of it, would end up 99% with broken cables anyway)

system32

Expert Member
Telkom SCAM Alert:

When Telkom changes you to look-alike POTS service:
  • Increases the line rental from R100 to R200.74 (pensioner)
  • Billed R1,199.00+VAT for a ATEL AGP KW125 phone
  • Replaced Line Rental (R200) with "SmartVoice 300" at R300 + VAT as the service is wireless.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
My parents have a 10Mbps uncapped ADSL account.

They average 300GB a month.

The line plus data costs them R820 p/m.

Telkom wants to cancel ADSL.

Tell me where the fck are they going to get LTE for that price with that usage.

This is beyond absurd.
Vodacom Fixed LTE @ R999.00 for 300GIG per month. Not quote the same price, but close.

garyc

Expert Member
At least all those old ADSL routers on the second hand market will make for a good supply of cheap range extenders.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

rambo919

Executive Member
Feck me, on a 2MB line with 4 active people I seem to avg 250+GB a month..... if I go LTE I will have to cut off the rest of the house..... there will be a mutiny....