What happens when a driver is not insured, not licensed and is not at fault?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Many years ago I had an accident unlicensed.

I got a fine that night (Don't remember anything about the night, had concussion and broke my collar bone, only realised it the next day when I found the fine in my pocket and that my arm could not lift up).

I thought that was the end of it.

Months later the other guys insurance sent a lawyer after me.

Default judgement as I was not even made aware of the court date or that there was even a court date.

I had to pay the damage outright, and also my car was totalled so double whammy.

Anyway make sure the guy at least knows when the court date is. Chances are he will be found to be at the best partially at fault, at the worst completely at fault but if he is not there for the court date it will be completely at fault...

Pitbull

Verboten
On insurance claims, blame is assigned proportionately.

With your friend not having insurance, automatically 100% blame will be loaded on him by the other insurer and your friend has no-one to fight for his portion of the blame. Not having a license just makes it worse.

Other insurance will recover 100% of the damages from your friend.

kombi-man

What others have said. Your friend is in the poo for being un-licenced. You are not supposed to be on the road, plain and simple.

ChrisThomas

I had an accident a few years ago where an uninsured driver T-boned me, my insurance went after him as it was his fault but they couldn't touch him as he had declared bankruptcy. Your friend might want to look into doing that as an option. The guy that drove into me though at least had a license, but it was 3 years expired...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah know those people as well. Won't pay the R300 pm for household insurance cause they don't need it. Yet they've got R20k TV, 20k PC, various expensive furniture. Until they're robbed and that's all taken.
Apparently they could buy their stuff back because of the savings, yet it'll take 60 months just to save for the TV. Some people sigh.
Yup.

If you can afford the thing you should be able to pay the 1% per year to insure it.

Third-party insurance on cars is similarly stupidly cheap, but really everyone should just have fully comprehensive unless you are sitting with the value of the car in your bank account and even then anyone will tell you it's a bad investment.