What hardware do I need to get PC to TV

donnybrasco

Hi, I bought a Graphics card (9400GT 512MB) sometime ago and figured if I bought a HDMI cable would be able to connect my PC to my TV. The problem is that my TV (CRT) does not have an HDMI port but everything is connected through my hometheatre which has 4 HDMI ports and there is a TV out cable to my TV. So I tried connecting to one of the HDMI ports from the PC hoping to get some output on the AV but only a black screen. What software or hardware do I need to set up this configuration? I want to watch my movies from my PC on the TV, is it possible?

Budza

Executive Member
HDMI to Co-ax isn't going to look nice. Or is it a Red/Yellow TV Out?

Run sound through amp from headphone jack- sound over HDMI is too much of a lus. Check the input on the Amp matches the correct HDMI port, then output into TV and choose correct source on TV. Should work fine, even without the hometheatre- direct from DVI/HDMI to TV, headphones to decent 2.1/5.1 speaker set.

sn3rd

Expert Member
Are you using an AV receiver to do the HDMI switching? If so, then you might just have to change your resolution on your PC; CRT TV probably doesn't have a very good resolution (usually 640 x 480).

ITCynic

Expert Member
Buy yourself a Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player.

I bought one in November last year and I must say its a great device.
I have it connected via network cable to my Linux file server where all my media resides.

If your have a shared folder on your PC where your media resides, the device will play from that folder or any other folder that is shared and contains media.

Google for it to get the specs ..... it supports HDMI as well as standard TV, plays virtually all the video codecs/formats, has 2 x USB ports for play media from USB storage devices, downmixes DTS to Stereo if your kit does not support DTS, Widescreen (16:9) and normal (4:3) aspect ratios, Subtitles.

The only downside so far is that it does not support DVD menus (apparently Licensing issues is preventing WD in implementing this) but it plays the VOB files fine.

I am busy developing my online store and this is definitely a product I would be promoting.

Here is a link to Western Digital for the product http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=734

Last edited:

Budza

Executive Member
Or the ZOTAC thing here (no DVD player though): www.cafejava.co.za R3400.00 what's the WD thingy go for?

First things first, if this OP is serious, is to get a frikken HD TV, one with HDMI inputs. Better than a new player device, esp as a new GFX was just bought...

Get a Sinotec from Makro- I got a 42" beauty- awesome for movies, series and games :D

Last edited:

ITCynic

Expert Member
Are you using an AV receiver to do the HDMI switching? If so, then you might just have to change your resolution on your PC; CRT TV probably doesn't have a very good resolution (usually 640 x 480).

Full Screen PAL Resolution is 720×576 split into two interlaced fields of 288 lines. The closest resolution from your PC would be 800x600

ITCynic

Expert Member
Or the ZOTAC thing here (no DVD player though): www.cafejava.co.za R3400.00 what's the WD thingy go for?

First things first, if this OP is serious, is to get a frikken HD TV, one with HDMI inputs. Better than a new player device, esp as a new GFX was just bought...

Get a Sinotec from Makro- I got a 42" beauty- awesome for movies, series and games :D

The "WD thingy" should be about R1700 retail

greg_SA

Expert Member
What model is your home theatre? Some AV receivers only switch HDMI... they can't convert from HDMI to Component, S-video, AV, etc. Other AV receivers can switch between the different inputs/outputs.

What outputs does your GFX card have? Doesn't it have a TV out port?

Hectic

Executive Member
Hi, I bought a Graphics card (9400GT 512MB) sometime ago and figured if I bought a HDMI cable would be able to connect my PC to my TV. The problem is that my TV (CRT) does not have an HDMI port but everything is connected through my hometheatre which has 4 HDMI ports and there is a TV out cable to my TV. So I tried connecting to one of the HDMI ports from the PC hoping to get some output on the AV but only a black screen. What software or hardware do I need to set up this configuration? I want to watch my movies from my PC on the TV, is it possible?

This might be not good enough for you, but TVR sell a Chronus pc to tv product that connects from a 15 pin vga port to rca or s video, I think. R332.00 excl.
http://chronos.co.tw
Select tv series and then PC to TV encoder (the white unit).