heartbroken

Expert Member
Great thread @RedViking - easy to moan about everything, but there is still good left. For me:

- Live in a quiet closed street, 3 mins walk to a big shopping center with spar/tops/restaurants etc. but I have no through traffic, massive park across the street from me. We have several surveillance cameras up in the street, monitored 24/7 by a security company.
- I can mountain bike for a 20km circuit and spend only about 1.5km on tar, starting from my house.
- I have 500mbps fibre :)
- No traffic, I can get to the office in less than 15mins in the morning for a 10km drive
- Super outdoor pubs and restaurants, all stumbling distance from my house.
- A Sunday drive, although dodgy areas, usually leads to some really amazing old buildings, court houses etc.
- I can get to some awesome weekend places within an hour.
- Big city infrastructure, small town feel and people.

We still have to fill the potholes and cut the grass in the park ourselves, but can't have it all I suppose.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Great thread @RedViking - easy to moan about everything, but there is still good left. For me:

- Live in a quiet closed street, 3 mins walk to a big shopping center with spar/tops/restaurants etc. but I have no through traffic, massive park across the street from me. We have several surveillance cameras up in the street, monitored 24/7 by a security company.
- I can mountain bike for a 20km circuit and spend only about 1.5km on tar, starting from my house.
- I have 500mbps fibre :)
- No traffic, I can get to the office in less than 15mins in the morning for a 10km drive
- Super outdoor pubs and restaurants, all stumbling distance from my house.
- A Sunday drive, although dodgy areas, usually leads to some really amazing old buildings, court houses etc.
- I can get to some awesome weekend places within an hour.
- Big city infrastructure, small town feel and people.

We still have to fill the potholes and cut the grass in the park ourselves, but can't have it all I suppose.
Would love to know where this is or at least which region

gbyleveldt

Yeah it's known locally as the Pomona spur.
Afraid COVID claimed that little bit of ”Paradise”

Nice biltong pics though. There’s another Shaun in Elm street close to you with 6 Fallow deer. I’m not allowed anywhere near there anymore, unless I leave my rifle at home.

Ill try and get some pics of our street later, but staying in our area of Benoni is brilliant. We’re in a short street, lined with big trees giving it a picturesque feel. 90% of the street regularly gets together to social. We all looking out for each other and this closeness really helped all of us during the lockdown. No one was allowed to be alone, which really helped curb the onset of depression for many of us.

Our kids go to very good public schools, we are next to big farms and I can even get to do some hunting without driving to far.

Last edited:

Van87

Great idea!

I grew up for 27 years in Limpopo, Marble Hall...

Small quiet farm town, great place for kids, since I was one, can walk everywhere, most people knew each other...

5 years ago moved to the city, well just outside Durban, Umdloti... It's paradise... Also small coastal town vibes, but a stones throw to the city. 20210320_060923.jpg

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Great idea!

Small quiet farm town, great place for kids, since I was one, can walk everywhere, most people knew each other...

5 years ago moved to the city, well just outside Durban, Umdloti... It's paradise... Also small coastal town vibes, but a stones throw to the city. View attachment 1051145
What a view to wake up to. It's lovely.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Great idea!

5 years ago moved to the city, well just outside Durban, Umdloti... It's paradise... Also small coastal town vibes, but a stones throw to the city. View attachment 1051145
Beautiful place. Love stopping at the little beach there taking the back route to Durban.

RedViking

Nord of the South
6PM. Busy getting dark. Need a break. Lekker spot this for a cappuccino, pizza and cake from Balito.
IMG_20210413_175629.jpg

RedViking

Nord of the South
Ballito is a gem...
As well as Salt Rock
Many small places to grab something...
I frequent Ballito more then crazy Umhlanga
Well... This is not in Balito. Just the cake that is from Balito. :ROFL:

Whright

Expert Member
Geez, you guys have some lekker things and places in your towns.

The only thing I suppose i love about my current “town” (JHB) is a pub called Hogshead.

My holiday house though, that’s a different story, wish I could move and live there permanently (Mpumalanga)