Norrad

Expert Member
Nice, how's the town doing seeing it's in the EC, heard it's getting a little run down?
Any service delivery issues?
Plenty of issues, but we make do. Haven't had actual municipal water for nearly a month at my place, so plumbed the rainwater tanks into the house. The trick to being happy here is to not rely on the municipality for anything ;)

airborne

Honorary Master
Plenty of issues, but we make do. Haven't had actual municipal water for nearly a month at my place, so plumbed the rainwater tanks into the house. The trick to being happy here is to not rely on the municipality for anything ;)
Wtf, what reason do they give for such an extended hiccup?

I have a feeling going off grid in terms of services is going to be a reality for many areas of SA in coming years. It does still make it bearable and possible to still enjoy this amazing land despite municipalities going tits up.

Norrad

Expert Member
Wtf, what reason do they give for such an extended hiccup?

I have a feeling going off grid in terms of services is going to be a reality for many areas of SA in coming years. It does still make it bearable and possible to still enjoy this amazing land despite municipalities going tits up.
Drought conditions, so they have reduced the water pressure. That means that high lying areas almost never get municipal water. I know some people have been without any water since December. Mine used to come on at night and early in the morning when there was less demand in the low lying areas, but not a drop since last month. They are building a reverse osmosis plant that was supposed to start operating in February, but delay after delay means we aren't even sure if it will ever actually operate.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Quiet suburbia

pano (1).jpg

Due to the impending day zero we're gradually moving over to rain water - how many tanks do you have? We've got nearly 10,000 litres of storage but I don't think that's going to be enough.

airborne

Honorary Master
Drought conditions, so they have reduced the water pressure. That means that high lying areas almost never get municipal water. I know some people have been without any water since December. Mine used to come on at night and early in the morning when there was less demand in the low lying areas, but not a drop since last month. They are building a reverse osmosis plant that was supposed to start operating in February, but delay after delay means we aren't even sure if it will ever actually operate.

That's nuts, good luck, hope you guys get some rain eventually.

Norrad

Expert Member
Quiet suburbia

View attachment 1083805

Due to the impending day zero we're gradually moving over to rain water - how many tanks do you have? We've got nearly 10,000 litres of storage but I don't think that's going to be enough.
I've got 10000 litres, two 5000 litre tanks and I want to get another to be safe. All my roof guttering goes into them so they fill up quickly when we get a little rain. I'm going to reroute all the plumbing (except the toilets and kitchen sink) to the garden as I waste a lot of water trying to keep some exotic fruit and veggies alive.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I've got 10000 litres, two 5000 litre tanks and I want to get another to be safe. All my roof guttering goes into them so they fill up quickly when we get a little rain. I'm going to reroute all the plumbing (except the toilets and kitchen sink) to the garden as I waste a lot of water trying to keep some exotic fruit and veggies alive.
Yeah - I guess it's time to order another 5000l tank. My guttering is a nightmare though.

RedViking

Nord of the South
While I escaped to the beach for a bit of peace and calm, this little one just wanted to get back into a hole.