What if? The Bible Was Never Found!

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Would we still have religion today?

Would Christianity have survived through the centuries from when Christ was risen from the dead. (and here I'm going on the premise that there is a god).

A Question to the christians out there:
Would you still be the person that you are today?

Would the world we live in be a complete improved secular society?

Most importantly. Would we have know about god?

Just some ponderings?

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Ok, something else:

The bible was put together by many different people over centuries I suppose.

Maybe my question should be:

What If: The bible was never assembled into one complete book.

The Source

The Bible wasn't the first religious text. That honour belongs to the Ancient Greek religions - the true religions!

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
The Bible wasn't the first religious text. That honour belongs to the Ancient Greek religions - the true religions!
Ok, but what about from a christian point of view?

Ancient Greeks did not worship god but their own gods. Am I correct in saying this?

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
the bible was never lost so it could not have been found. to me the bible is a book made up of snippets of other stories that did the rounds way back when.

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
I think if the bible was not assembled, there would still be Christian religious text doing the rounds amongst smaller groups of people.
But with all the kings/politicians/presidents trying to control the masses I'm sure someone would have constructed their own bible from the texts, telling only the stories they felt were consistent with their views.. Much like the current bible I suppose..

The Source

Ok, but what about from a christian point of view?

Ancient Greeks did not worship god but their own gods. Am I correct in saying this?
Yeah you're correct. If the Bible was never written we would have Christianity, but we would have other religions.

burden

Civilization would presumably be 500 years more advanced.
Millions less would have died.

The Dark Ages
The 30 Year War
The Inquisition
The Witch Trials
The Crusades

Am I missing any more?

As for the rest: there always would be a "god". People since the dawn of time had to look at a higher power to explain things they couldn't.
The concept of religion probably arose from when men was aware of his own mortality and wanted something that would give him hope.

Last edited:

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
Civilization would presumably be 500 years more advanced.
Millions less would have died.

The Dark Ages
The 30 Year War
The Inquisition
The Witch Trials
The Crusades

Am I missing any more?
Lol but the earth might have been 10C hotter due to global warming and battling to grow food to sustain the population?
Or we could be populating the moon/mars or what ever? Or developed truly self sustainable energy sources..
So many What if's with history..

burden

I'm sure 500 years is plenty of time to improve our agricultural efficiencies. Besides, we'd have less kids anyway so a less populated earth.
Most secular/educated people would rather opt to have a kid much later, have only one or none at all.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
the bible was never lost so it could not have been found. to me the bible is a book made up of snippets of other stories that did the rounds way back when.
Ok, thats a good point Wayne.

Let me put a new spin on it:

What if somehow the bible was never revealed up until the 21st century. i.e What if a group of archeologist stumbled upon it a few weeks ago and revealed what was written. Would people blatantly follow without questioning as they fanatically do now?

burden

Ok, thats a good point Wayne.

Let me put a new spin on it:

What if somehow the bible was never revealed up until the 21st century. i.e What if a group of archeologist stumbled upon it a few weeks ago and revealed what was written. Would people blatantly follow without questioning as they fanatically do now?
OF course not. We don't follow the Aztec religion, people would laugh it off..

Techne

Honorary Master
With regards to religion. Sure, we would have religion today. Why not?

With regards to knowledge about God. Sure, God is not limited to Abrahamic religions. Classical theism was a position held before Christianity and the Bible.

Would the world be a completely secular? I doubt it, never mind improved.

With regards to the so-called "Dark Ages", the so-called "dark ages" is not as a result of those dastardly Christians but because Rome was sacked several times by the Visigoths, barbarians, vandals, gauls etc. (387BC-546BC). If it wasn't for the church's active campaigns to regain knowledge from ancient Greece and Rome as well as Arabia and the Middle east, the 12th century Renaissance would never have happened. What does "the Dark ages" actually refer to: Dark Ages. Read about the Early Middle Ages.

Read: God's Philosophers: How the Medieval World Laid the Foundations of Modern Science
Nicely reviewed at this interesting blog (atheist blogger): Armarium Magnum

Read about the Renaissance of the 12th century. Especially the rise of science, reason as well as the Scholastic system and the start of the first universities as we know them today.

If it wasn't for the invention of spectacles in Italy during the middle ages (1280s), then Galileo probably would never have gazed into the skies to realize the earth revolves around the sun.

Would the world be 500 years more advanced if Europe was not Christianized and the church did not actively campaign to regain knowledge from ancient Greece, Rome, Arabia, Middle east etc., and Christianity did not contribute significantly to.... the revival of human dissection, the invention of universities that promoted science, spectacles etc.... well, I don't know really.

Last edited:

burden

The Dark Ages wasn't started by Christians, it was a long period where intellectuals were persecuted as anything non-Christian was heretical, including art.
Call me rosy, but our scientific knowledge wouldn't have been bottlenecked by such backward thinking. We would be more advanced

Techne

Honorary Master
Again, if you are interested in understanding the nature and extent of these "persecutions", read:
God's Philosophers: How the Medieval World Laid the Foundations of Modern Science
Nicely reviewed at this interesting blog (atheist blogger): Armarium Magnum

Also read up:
Dark Ages.
However, from the mid-20th century onwards, other historians became critical of even this nonjudgmental use of the term for two main reasons.[8] First, it is questionable whether it is possible to use the term "Dark Ages" effectively in a neutral way; scholars may intend this, but it does not mean that ordinary readers will so understand it. Second, the explosion of new knowledge and insight into the history and culture of the Early Middle Ages, which 20th-century scholarship has achieved,[35] means that these centuries are no longer dark even in the sense of "unknown to us". To avoid the value judgment implied by the expression, many historians avoid it altogether.[36]
Early Middle Ages.

ponder

Honorary Master
You can thank Emperor Constantine & the Council of Nicea for the prevelence of Christianity today.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
whilst on the topic of miracles.

a good test of a miracle would be when a town or city or province or even country for that matter prays for rain AND ACTUALLY TAKES THEIR UMBRELLAS WITH THEM WHEN THEY PRAY. people praying for rain have have no faith in the prayers because they are not carrying umbrellas. A person who prays for rain and carries an umbrella with them believes their prayers will be answered.

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
I'm sure 500 years is plenty of time to improve our agricultural efficiencies. Besides, we'd have less kids anyway so a less populated earth.
Most secular/educated people would rather opt to have a kid much later, have only one or none at all.
Christianity I believe helped civilization to also develop more.Trying to think of an example