What is BMW's stand on 3rd party body modifications?

GipsyD

Building on from the 335i post I created some time back...

So my same friend is looking at getting an extended warranty with BMW South Africa on his second hand 335i Luxury Line. But like I said in the last post, he wants to upgrade it cosmetically (i.e. add a more "aggressive" M Style Body kit). He has sourced some bodykits locally in Jozi and in Durban, but is afraid of what BMW might do should he decide to put on third party bodykits.

I mean they are cheaper, but at the same time, I would imagine that he wouldn't want to lose out on that BMW warranty, especially given the price that he would have to pay just to get it.

He also wants to put on the BMW M Performance Exhaust, which I don't think would be an issue considering it's from BMW themselves. The same goes for the other things like steering wheels and carbon fibre, right?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks for viewing!

Masataka

Would definitely ask them on the cosmetics, but shouldn’t be an issue as they can’t really dispute component failures because you put on a different bumper.

Exhaust can be an issue as it’s a functional component, so he should check whether they require a specific company to fit, or any reputable place.

GipsyD

Ask them? It will be in the contract for the warranty.
That's what I told him, but he doesn't want to listen. He says he's not too great with words. IDK.

He hasn't signed the warranty as yet, he's contemplating as to whether he should get the warranty in the first place or not.

GipsyD

Would definitely ask them on the cosmetics, but shouldn’t be an issue as they can’t really dispute component failures because you put on a different bumper.

Exhaust can be an issue as it’s a functional component, so he should check whether they require a specific company to fit, or any reputable place.
That is what I was thinking, I mean the body kit is just for aesthetic looks, right? It would be different if he got a tune from some dodgy 3rd party dealer.

As for the exhaust, he wants the M Performance Exhaust from BMW M themselves, not an aftermarket solution. I think it's called the M Silencer System or something along those lines.

thechamp

Honorary Master

A different bumper that somehow impedes airflow affecting cooling?

Masataka

A different bumper that somehow impedes airflow affecting cooling?
You could nitpick anything if you really wanted to, which is why I said he should still ask.

Changing wheel color, adding mirror caps and boot spoilers, etc. are all legal under plan, but you could also easily make up something about those affecting plan.

He should’ve just bought the MSport from the start and saved the hassle. Great seats, steering wheel and kit; although I don’t miss the low suspension.

Tman*

Expert Member
Generally things like spoilers, window tint etc does not attract attention. I have however heard of motorplans suspended due to installing after market rims. I have also heard of cases where motorplans was not suspended when aftermarket rims were installed.

It all comes down to the relationship you ha e with the dealer. If you don't have a relationship, inquire. And get something in writing.

GipsyD

You could nitpick anything if you really wanted to, which is why I said he should still ask.

Changing wheel color, adding mirror caps and boot spoilers, etc. are all legal under plan, but you could also easily make up something about those affecting plan.

He should’ve just bought the MSport from the start and saved the hassle. Great seats, steering wheel and kit; although I don’t miss the low suspension.
I know, but the price was just too extreme for his liking. Plus mileage on the car was a deciding factor as well, so this was the only one that ticked most of the boxes he was looking for. The closest one with the M Sport Package was about R590K, and that was with close to 100 000 KMs on the clock.

I think he got a pretty banging deal on this 335i. Only paying R300K for a car with 7500KMs on the clock from new.

GipsyD

Generally things like spoilers, window tint etc does not attract attention. I have however heard of motorplans suspended due to installing after market rims. I have also heard of cases where motorplans was not suspended when aftermarket rims were installed.

It all comes down to the relationship you ha e with the dealer. If you don't have a relationship, inquire. And get something in writing.
I'm genuinely thinking contacting BMW South Africa, and see what they say about this situation.

GipsyD

Alright, I contacted BMW South Africa via email, and got a response not too long after. They sent me a whole breakdown of their terms of sales on a brand new car.

Essentially, their response was that any modifications without the consent from BMW themselves will either cause the warranty to either suspend itself, or outright void the warranty altogether.

I guess I might as was tell him to just get the MPPSK and call it a day. Spending R70K is much better than having to deal with the warranty yourself, especially if something was to go wrong, like have an accident.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I thought that this was only for the Proper M Cars, like the M3 and the M4.

I do know of an option you can spec on a car for the M Adaptive Suspension. This could be what @Masataka is talking about.
M adaptive has nothing to do with suspension height.

Masataka talks Masakaka