what is something, what is nothing

saturnz

Honorary Master
I've brought up this question before on this forum so its interesting to see someone take an hour to try and explain it.

saturnz

Honorary Master
If you get more technical "nothing" actually means "something" since even nothing existing is an impossibility....... I'm not making this up.
whether "nothing" exists or not is not really an issue in philosophy, how would you define nothing?

I would say its the absence of everything.

rambo919

Executive Member
whether "nothing" exists or not is not really an issue in philosophy, how would you define nothing?

I would say its the absence of everything.
Nope, nothing is the absence of something, it's a physical negative. Using philosophy as science... that implies religion. Refusing to admit you are substituting philosophy for science.... that's definitely religion.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Nope, nothing is the absence of something, it's a physical negative. Using philosophy as science... that implies religion. Refusing to admit you are substituting philosophy for science.... that's definitely religion.
not using philosophy as science, it is an argument that is posited

what the video shows is that everywhere where we can see, we observe something, even when they try really hard to create "nothing"

rambo919

Executive Member
not using philosophy as science, it is an argument that is posited

what the video shows is that everywhere where we can see, we observe something, even when they try really hard to create "nothing"
My point is there are even scientists that say philosophy is not needed anymore..... using philosophical arguments in the process but too blind to see what they are doing...... hawking was one such idiot I think.

They also in general casually fall back on philosophy while maintaining they are only using science.

rambo919

Executive Member
Didnt actually watch the video btw, this nothing vs something vs explosion vs whatever argument has been going on for decades ever since intellegent design proponents developed backbones.

saturnz

Honorary Master
My point is there are even scientists that say philosophy is not needed anymore.
but Prawnapple was so kind to provide us with a definition of pure science, perhaps you want to read that and come back to me with this argument

using philosophical arguments in the process but too blind to see what they are doing...... hawking was one such idiot I think.

They also in general casually fall back on philosophy while maintaining they are only using science.

you are aware of the Philosophy of science? It is actually fundamental to the field of science.

just so we are clear, this is my view of science

it is a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws
or basically organised knowledge.

rambo919

Executive Member
you are aware of the Philosophy of science? It is actually fundamental to the field of science.
There is also the science of gender studies and the science of casting hexes, etc

At this point I only call the empirically proven fields science because "science" can be a very nebulous term. Anything methodical can be called science.

saturnz

Honorary Master
There is also the science of gender studies and the science of casting hexes, etc
so in pushing for science (I assume) you use a strawman...

so I guess you are not familiar with the philosophy of science then

At this point I only call the empirically proven fields science because "science" can be a very nebulous term.
can you provide a reference for this

rambo919

Executive Member
so in pushing for science (I assume) you use a strawman...

so I guess you are not familiar with the philosophy of science then
No strawman, philosophy of any kind is by definition while scientific not science.

Scientific and science are not the same thing.